Pinpointer

caro1979

I'm new to detecting and was wondering if it's worth while to purchase a pinpointer. I recently ordered a XP Deus and it should be arriving in a couple days and I'm anxious to get going but do I need a pinpointer straight out of the shoot?

I just went for the good ones, and got the Garrett ProPointer AT (the orange carrot). It's waterproof, and it works well. Just make sure you order/buy 9V batteries at the same time you order it, because I have already killed the battery after using it this weekend. The battery lasted around 8 hours. People have said that the battery that comes with it is junk to begin with those, so I ordered some duracell 9V's.

When you invest in a good PP, invest also in a decent lanyard (an Old coiled phone cord) (Idea borrowed from an earlier post) makes a good one, that way if you happen to forget to pick it up (it will happen) it follows you rather than just laying there crying for you.

As to the phone cord, cut off the phone connectors and crimp on some terminal rings or Ty-Wrap loops & clips onto the ends so you have a way to attach both ends

First time you drag it you will be glad you did :D

Garrett carrot all day ... it's one thing to have your detector sound off on an 10" Silver dollar but then you get down ten inches and it's in the side of your plug and you scraped the hell out of it cause you thought it was in the dead center. Better be safe than sorry good luck and happy hunting!

I use my pinpointer primarily for targets that I believe to be within an inch of the surface, so that I don't have to dig a plug. But it does come in handy from time to time and I couldn't imagine detecting without one.

Get a pinpointer, no point in hunting without one, pun unintended.

Get one of the Garret's or Vibraprobe's in my opinion. Buying anything less is just throwing money away.

Back
Top Bottom