Smile....

K&T

Doing the park yesterday with hubby and a guy and his wife walks by and he says smile... I look up and he's takin my picture. So I smiled..not that I wanted to. My paranoid instincts kick in and Im like ..Who are you and why are you violating my privacy like this. Then I thought he's a do gooder gonna use my picture to complain about MDing in the park. ( We have permission in 2 counties). I couldnt figure out why he had to have a picture of me. Is it that novel to see a silverhaired lady with a metal detector?

That is odd. Even odder is, public property is not public property, in your neck of the woods. Big brother must deem you worthy with a permit. And then, to top it off, you have to fear your neighbor reporting you should you step out of line and dig a six-inch plug. Hmmm. Where have I heard of this type thing happening before? I think they also had long lines for TP.

Been living here 15 years and have spoken more than once to the park director and never once if I've been told I had to have a permit to metal detecting at public park so there you go.State parks ya and the next county over ya but not my county. And they are free. Dont make the mistake of thinking that everyone in Oregon is a liberal. My county is 3/4 redneck. No one bothers us.There is no "public" land anywhere. Someone owns it all.

Last edited:
I'll bet he was giving you a warning with his bold and ridiculous comment, smile. And, I'll bet if you were a 250 lb man with a big beard and arms like a body builder nothing would have happened! It angers me. People who have to negatively interact to relieve their own inner frustrations.

What's really odd is that he did it on the run, he just stopped for a second said smile took the picture and continued walking didn't even say good morning or nothing. oh well I'm not breaking any rules and he's the one with the problem but I want the future royalties! as small as this town is I'm sure I'll see him again on that path and next time I'll ask him why he took it.

What's really odd is that he did it on the run, he just stopped for a second said smile took the picture and continued walking didn't even say good morning or nothing. oh well I'm not breaking any rules and he's the one with the problem but I want the future royalties! as small as this town is I'm sure I'll see him again on that path and next time I'll ask him why he took it.

Can't wait to See you on Some MEME on the Internet.. Hope you go Viral :laughing:

You know us Oregonians.. yep My County is 3/4 % Redneck too but then there is always that other 25% !!

....Then I thought he's a do gooder gonna use my picture to complain about MDing in the park.....

I agree with T-man: He admired you !

But seriously now : I'm the first to admit that md'ing "carries connotations". Ie.: busy-bodies might think you're harming something or taking something.

But the moment we concentrate and worry about THAT , is the moment it becomes a self-fulfilling phenomenon. Ie.: if we look at all passing pedestrians, and/or "someone who takes our picture" with the subconscious worry that "they might gripe": That simply feeds the notion that we're doing something wrong. Which, as you know YOU'RE NOT doing anything wrong. But to simply be evasive, or cast stink-eyes back and forth, will simply drive the passerby to wonder "gee, what are they doing ?"

See how it becomes a self-fulfilling vicious loop ? So you have to "act like you own the place". Give a big smile and thumbs up, etc... Then people assume you know what you're doing, and pay-you-no-mind.

It's things like this that happen in life, I that I wish I could go back and ask more questions. In the moment of it all, I probably would have just smiled too! With a few questions you would have been able to surmise if the situation warranted a simple smile or a middle finger. :lol:

I agree with Tom though. Not doing anything wrong! I think it's kind of rude to just stop and take a picture of someone. (Even if they are an attractive novelty)

I agree with T-man: He admired you !

But seriously now : I'm the first to admit that md'ing "carries connotations". Ie.: busy-bodies might think you're harming something or taking something.

But the moment we concentrate and worry about THAT , is the moment it becomes a self-fulfilling phenomenon. Ie.: if we look at all passing pedestrians, and/or "someone who takes our picture" with the subconscious worry that "they might gripe": That simply feeds the notion that we're doing something wrong. Which, as you know YOU'RE NOT doing anything wrong. But to simply be evasive, or cast stink-eyes back and forth, will simply drive the passerby to wonder "gee, what are they doing ?"

See how it becomes a self-fulfilling vicious loop ? So you have to "act like you own the place". Give a big smile and thumbs up, etc... Then people assume you know what you're doing, and pay-you-no-mind.
Thats what I did! And yes I do own it....

It's things like this that happen in life, I that I wish I could go back and ask more questions. In the moment of it all, I probably would have just smiled too! With a few questions you would have been able to surmise if the situation warranted a simple smile or a middle finger. :lol:

I agree with Tom though. Not doing anything wrong! I think it's kind of rude to just stop and take a picture of someone. (Even if they are an attractive novelty)

Well I waited for my gut to tell me what to do and it said " Smile"...so I did.

Can't wait to See you on Some MEME on the Internet.. Hope you go Viral :laughing:

You know us Oregonians.. yep My County is 3/4 % Redneck too but then there is always that other 25% !!

Oh no....no viral...I dont want to be a meme.

I'll bet he was giving you a warning with his bold and ridiculous comment, smile. And, I'll bet if you were a 250 lb man with a big beard and arms like a body builder nothing would have happened! It angers me. People who have to negatively interact to relieve their own inner frustrations.

Well I am a large woman with pepperspray and a history as a Security guard. Sooooo..

Well I am a large woman with pepperspray and a history as a Security guard. Sooooo..

Good for you. Im sure your a woman who can take care of herself. I have anxiety issues with people watching me so it's a big thing to me. I can't go out and detect on weekends usually. But HH and good luck out there.

I'd be suspicious of a total stranger wanting to take my picture whether I was detecting or doing something else or maybe doing nothing at all. I'd ask them why they wanted my picture, but even with that they could still take my picture from afar or right there, smile or no smile.

Maybe he's writing a book about all the different activities one can do at the park and your photo is going to be in it. You'll be famous. :cool3:

Good for you. Im sure your a woman who can take care of herself. I have anxiety issues with people watching me so it's a big thing to me. I can't go out and detect on weekends usually. But HH and good luck out there.

I dont like it either. We go out at dawn and around 10 when the people come we leave. I carry spray mainly for loose dogs that are supposed to be on leashes by LAW...that want to attack us unprovoked. Cattledogs are the worst. They key on us cause we carry big sticks (scoops).

I'd be suspicious of a total stranger wanting to take my picture whether I was detecting or doing something else or maybe doing nothing at all. I'd ask them why they wanted my picture, but even with that they could still take my picture from afar or right there, smile or no smile.

Yes they can.

Back
Top Bottom