Permission Granted For Old Drive In

milco

Elite Member
I just received permission today and the green light to detect on private land where a drive in movie theater once operated from the 1950's to early 1980's. On the SW corner of this property, about 40 acres, there are also several old stone foundations from an old farm house and accompanying buildings. I have been persistantly working on this one for months and am very excited and appreciative for the opportunity. I'll keep you guys up to date on my finds.

Attachments

• 40.jpg
    40.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 784
Two Wheats today at this site

Went out to this site today during my lunch break and hunted for about 1/2 hour. I got two wheat pennies, 1948 & 1956D, and loads of pull tabs and bottle caps, about 35. This is going to be a tough site. Tall grass and lots and lots of trash, but I bet there are also lots of coins.

You should be able to find alot of coins there bu also as you say alot of trash. But it seems like a cool spot to hunt :)

Siggi

You should be able to find alot of coins there bu also as you say alot of trash. But it seems like a cool spot to hunt :)

Siggi

Thanks Siggi, it is a cool spot. It is slightly out of town. It is very quiet and peaceful and you really can't see anyone when you're out in the middle. A good place to relax and take a break from work.

Looks like a great spot to hunt always a lot of trash but also lots of coins good luck. Howard

I am interested

Milco,
There is an old drive in by me but I was wondering if it was worth is since they buried the speaker wire. I figured they would be close to the surface and set the machine off all the time..

OK, I went to this site again yesterday for about 45 minutes and dug 1 memorial penny and about 50 pull tabs....YES, 50! They are laying on the ground and sometimes 5 in one hole. I did some experimenting with my detector, which is a meager one I know. The site is all loose gravel with grass growing in it and easy diggin' otherwise I think I would just give up. The pull tabs keep ringing in as penny or dime signals and tones. When I pull them out of the ground they ring in the nickel range like a regular pull tab most of the time. The pull tabs are the older style and probably have more tin in them not just all aluminum too. This is going to be a challenging site but I am sure there is some silver here. It will take lots of time and persistance. I am going to do some searching on this forum for info on signals in gravel to see if I can learn more about the effect it has on coin signals. If anyone has any words of wisdom, please share. Thanks!

Maybe if you clear little sections of the trash, and then go back for the silver! Take your time and "map" out the areas you have cleared. You are correct, there has gotta be some silver in there!!:yes:

I'm from Mpls but I stopped in at this site a couple of years ago to look it over. I was walking around and found 2 dimes form the 1970's on the surface. I called the manager of the property but he never called me back. Good job getting the official "go ahead"! It looked like a great site and you should eventually be finding the good stuff!

Milco,
There is an old drive in by me but I was wondering if it was worth is since they buried the speaker wire. I figured they would be close to the surface and set the machine off all the time..

Bob,
I think there is potential at this site and probably at yours too. The trouble is I have so many better sites to go to before this one in terms of easier MD'ing and older finds. I am sure that is the same with you too. However, this site caught my attention because it is a 1/4 mile from my office and I can get in quick hunts regularyl over lunch, before and after work. I would say give it a try and let us know what you find.

Sounds like fun. Remember to grid the place, and go back over the area's you've already hit and removed trash from. Should be productive.

I would pay serious attention to the edges of the place, where weeds grew or used to grow. "Woops, I dropped my hot dog money! Where'd it go? In the weeds!" we've all been there as kids. (actually it was slightly rancid and for some reason irresistable hamburgers at our place, and fries that left oil running down your arm). Kids are good at finding coins on gravel, weeds just swallow stuff up.

Well, I found two more pennys from the 60's here yesterday. I should have kept track of all of the pull tabs I have found, I think I would be well over 300 by now....argh! Oh well, its a nice outdoor place to enjoy my lunch hours.

also check..

most of those old drive ins had play grounds up near the screens.. big swing sets ect ect... should be a gold mine..

Back
Top Bottom