My 1st dug silver of 2021 !

GKL

Forum Supporter
My first silver was a while into last year, so it was a very nice surprise to find my 2nd silver (first of this year) on my very first official hunt of the year ! Hey, I know a Merc might not be as big of a deal to those in areas where silver is still more plentiful, but the way the public areas have been around here finding a silver is somewhat of a rare occurrence :lol: (I need to get more private property permissions to hopefully increase the chances of finding silver)

Waiting for good weather (mild without rain) to detect to coincide with my schedule finally worked out yesterday (Thursday 3/25) and I was able to enjoy my first "official" hunt of the year (recently I detected about an hour or so in my own hunted out yard since I didn't have time to make it worthwhile to run elsewhere, but I don't count that as an "official" hunt :lol:) It's getting more into better weather season so hunts should hopefully become more regular again.

I tried hunting a local area I had not previously yet tried, part of it was an older walking park with grass in the middle, no really good signals offhand, but being a new area and my first hunt there I was scanning various sections just to get a feel for that area.

So I went to try the next area right close to that one, it was a very old basketball court but I think the nets/hoops were taken down back when Covid got started. I was scanning around the perimeter of the court and got a "13" on my Nox and sure enough it was a nickel !

Then scanning around the other side of the court I got a "27" on my Nox and as soon as I turned over the plug and uncovered the coin I knew it had to be a silver the way it shined in the dirt :lol: and sure enough it was a Merc ! (I did find the usual trash also, pull-tabs, bottle cap, nails)

It was only about a 1 1/2 hour hunt and being my first hunt in that area I was trying to focus on digging signals that I thought had a high chance of being a good find, later on I might dig more of the "iffy" signals. Raining today so glad I got the hunt in yesterday !
(and I used the free Garrett "carrot" my wife's friend found in a yard sale and gave me and it worked great !)

EDIT TO ADD: I forgot to mention it was perfect timing on finding the Merc as my detecting time was about up for that day as I needed to get back home so when I dug that Merc it was my last dig of the day, and hey, what a find to finish up with !!!! (I even thought, no sense trying to hurry another dig as it was unlikely I was going to top that immediately, and besides, it's nice to finish up with a good find and not a pull-tab :lol:)

Merc "27" TID on Nox
1st dug silver 2021.jpg
20210325_2nd_silver_front.jpg20210325_2nd_silver_back.jpg

Nickel "13" TID on Nox (figured I'd post the nickel too since I was posting the silver anyhow)
1st dug nickel of 2021.jpg
20210325_nickel_front.jpg20210325_nickel_back.jpg

Last edited:
My first silver was a while into last year, so it was a very nice surprise to find my 2nd silver (first of this year) on my very first official hunt of the year ! Hey, I know a Merc might not be as big of a deal to those in areas where silver is still more plentiful, but the way the public areas have been around here finding a silver is somewhat of a rare occurrence :lol: (I need to get more private property permissions to hopefully increase the chances of finding silver)

Waiting for good weather (mild without rain) to detect to coincide with my schedule finally worked out yesterday (Thursday 3/25) and I was able to enjoy my first "official" hunt of the year (recently I detected about an hour or so in my own hunted out yard since I didn't have time to make it worthwhile to run elsewhere, but I don't count that as an "official" hunt :lol:) It's getting more into better weather season so hunts should hopefully become more regular again.

I tried hunting a local area I had not previously yet tried, part of it was an older walking park with grass in the middle, no really good signals offhand, but being a new area and my first hunt there I was scanning various sections just to get a feel for that area.

So I went to try the next area right close to that one, it was a very old basketball court but I think the nets/hoops were taken down back when Covid got started. I was scanning around the perimeter of the court and got a "13" on my Nox and sure enough it was a nickel !

Then scanning around the other side of the court I got a "27" on my Nox and as soon as I turned over the plug and uncovered the coin I knew it had to be a silver the way it shined in the dirt :lol: and sure enough it was a Merc ! (I did find the usual trash also, pull-tabs, bottle cap, nails)

It was only about a 1 1/2 hour hunt and being my first hunt in that area I was trying to focus on digging signals that I thought had a high chance of being a good find, later on I might dig more of the "iffy" signals. Raining today so glad I got the hunt in yesterday !
(and I used the free Garrett "carrot" my wife's friend found in a yard sale and gave me and it worked great !)

Merc "27" TID on Nox
View attachment 482049
View attachment 482042View attachment 482043

Nickel "13" TID on Nox (figured I'd post the nickel too since I was posting the silver anyhow)
View attachment 482050
View attachment 482044View attachment 482045

Sounds like a really good hunt to me.

Way to go Gary !!! A Merc is a big deal to me also .There was a time when the numbers of Mercs and silver Rosies dug turned up fairly even for me but not for the last few years . I'm really hankering for one of those little beauties .Congrats ! Nice pictures , story
and of course the Merc . I'm going to try to get out today , I probably wont find much but God it's a beautiful day !

Sounds like a really good hunt to me.

Hey, just getting some fun exercise (detecting) and fresh air is good regardless of the finds :lol:

Congratulations. I like the date on that merc. Nice rescue.

Thanks, hey, not a 1916D but any Merc is better than a Zincoln :lol:

Way to go Gary !!! A Merc is a big deal to me also .There was a time when the numbers of Mercs and silver Rosies dug turned up fairly even for me but not for the last few years . I'm really hankering for one of those little beauties .Congrats ! Nice pictures , story
and of course the Merc . I'm going to try to get out today , I probably wont find much but God it's a beautiful day !

Thanks, yep, from what I've read I realize there are some other detectorists in areas where finding a silver is the exception and not the norm. Had rain much of the day today here, that's why I'm glad I got out yesterday :lol:

Congratulations. I have only made out to my yard 5 times since I got the Nox but have already got a silver Rosie, 2 wheaties and a 10k Gold Ring so I know how you feel. Good luck

Congratulations

Thanks !!!!

Congratulations. I have only made out to my yard 5 times since I got the Nox but have already got a silver Rosie, 2 wheaties and a 10k Gold Ring so I know how you feel. Good luck

Thanks !!!!

Hey, as much as I'm sure you'll be glad to see what you can find elsewhere, finding a silver Rosie, 2 wheaties and a 10k Gold Ring in your own yard is fantastic ! (much better than what I found in my yard :lol: but it was still fun !)

Super nice find for sure...congrats! Those kind of days make it that much more worthwhile.

Thanks !!!! ......having an occasional hunt like that helps make up for the hunts with mostly Zincolns and pull-tabs :lol: (but hey, I still enjoy the hunts for the exercise and fresh air too :lol:)

Nice hunt Gary! Congrats on the Merc!:thumbsup:

Thanks !!!! when you get one really nice coin like that you don't mind if you didn't find much else on a hunt :lol:

Glad to see you have a silver smile! May it be the first of many many more this year. And I would like to compliment on how nice your hole look. Stay safe and happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom