equinox 800 with water in display

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Went hunting last week at lake. Had my headphones connected with the water proof Minelab headphone connector. Was in chest high water for 1.5 hours. and yes the connector was snugly screwed in. Plus I have never dropped or banged my 800 so don't know how water could have gotten in the display.

The Nox 800 is operating fine, but I am annoyed that water got into the display area.

Sent Minelab [email protected] and email this monday 8/26 around 9:00 am and have not heard back yet. Bought the 800 March 2018.

I figured it should be covered by their warranty.

any ideas what to expect?

Attachments

• 800 (2).jpg
    800 (2).jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,072
Last edited:
Damn that sucks! I’ve yet to dunk mine but am setup to do so with their yellow headphones... lakes and rivers... hopefully this fall I’ll have time. Good luck with the service!

I'm surprised it's still working with water in it, I have only used mine in waist deep water as I only have the cordless phones right now but I did dunk it a few times mainly as a test to make sure it didn't leak. I haven't heard any bad reviews on Minelab's customer service so I would think they would send you out a new unit. Good luck with Minelab and let us know how you make out.

Sorry to hear about your machine, that sucks..I usto read horror stories about minelabs customer service on all different forums, never remember hearing anything posative.
Then when they released the nox last year I saw a few posts where people had problems with them it seemed minelab rectified the problem fast.I thought that was a great thing, new machines being released and a new repair center in Pennsylvania..This isn't the first post I've read in the last few months where there were problems with minelabs customer service again.
Hope you get your machine fixed, and they make things right .I almost bought another nox just to have for wet weather.
But reading threads like this one changed my mind, went with the mx sport instead.At least I know whites customer service will respond if there's a issue

Yep, GREAT customer service unless they fold like Tesoro.

Tesoro was a internal decision to shut down, had nothing to do with sales or any other brand.
Whites is probably the biggest name in metal detecting in the USA.Dont see them going anywhere, and ive only had one whites machine years back so im no loyalist.

I really hope these guys who been posting about they're equinox getting water damage get them fixed and minelab steps up..I couldn't imagine having $800 in a machine that's supposedly waterproof only to have it leak, which can happen.But when it does happen and it's under warranty I want prompt replies about having it fixed.No one who spends that kinda money should be sidelined by poor customer service.

Tesoro was a internal decision to shut down, had nothing to do with sales or any other brand.
Whites is probably the biggest name in metal detecting in the USA.Dont see them going anywhere, and ive only had one whites machine years back so im no loyalist.

I really hope these guys who been posting about they're equinox getting water damage get them fixed and minelab steps up..I couldn't imagine having $800 in a machine that's supposedly waterproof only to have it leak, which can happen.But when it does happen and it's under warranty I want prompt replies about having it fixed.No one who spends that kinda money should be sidelined by poor customer service.

From what I read Tesoro's closings had a lot to do with sales.
My point is minelab and no/mak seem to be hitting home runs and whites haven't had more than a couple hit in years. I hope they get some and are around for years to come but ship happens to large companies that don't keep up.

Good customer service NOW is important and Whites has it. Hopefully ML has seen how important that is to us consumers and will step up.

I'm continuously disappointed by companies putting out products without enough testing. As good as the nox has been it has had MANY problems from the start- finding silver on edge, noise, headphone pairing, water intrusion, coil problems etc.

I not only hope they get good warranty service but figure all this out before the warranty expires. The out of warranty repair cost may prevent many from repairing them.

That's discouraging. I hope Minelab steps up to the plate. Mine will arrive this morning and might go directly to the bathtub.

That's discouraging. I hope Minelab steps up to the plate. Mine will arrive this morning and might go directly to the bathtub.

The control box was never more than about 8" below the water. Chest deep water in the lake is as far as I go.

This was not the kind of post that I wanted to post. But this is reality.

I would give it a bath. I just did this yesterday to my 800 and saw air bubbles coming out of the seam where the handle bolts to the shaft. So maybe tighten the handle bolts prior to the dunk.
So far no issues with mine but will check later today to see if anything has cropped up. Good luck!

I would give it a bath. I just did this yesterday to my 800 and saw air bubbles coming out of the seam where the handle bolts to the shaft. So maybe tighten the handle bolts prior to the dunk.
So far no issues with mine but will check later today to see if anything has cropped up. Good luck!

Youre going to see air bubbles there. Theres an index hole in the shaft where the control box sits. When you dunk it, the hollow shaft is filling up with water and air is being forced out. I wouldnt worry about that.... Theres another cap/seal in there that is water tight that keeps water out of battery compartment. Those four bolts on the bottom of the handle do nothing but secure the control box to shaft.

Is it possible the OPs problem is condensation? Ive gone from cold water to a hot environment (or vice cersa) and had it fog up on me. Maybe it just hasnt cleared up? Heat it up with a hairdryer or set it out in the sun.

Youre going to see air bubbles there. Theres an index hole in the shaft where the control box sits. When you dunk it, the hollow shaft is filling up with water and air is being forced out. I wouldnt worry about that.... Theres another cap/seal in there that is water tight that keeps water out of battery compartment. Those four bolts on the bottom of the handle do nothing but secure the control box to shaft.

Is it possible the OPs problem is condensation? Ive gone from cold water to a hot environment (or vice cersa) and had it fog up on me. Maybe it just hasnt cleared up? Heat it up with a hairdryer or set it out in the sun.

Is it possible the OPs problem is condensation? Ive gone from cold water to a hot environment (or vice cersa) and had it fog up on me.

I don't think so the water temp that morning was 86 degrees and air tem was 88 during the morning I was hunting. Our southern lakes heat up during August except in the very deep part near the dam where it it is 300 feet deep and more like 60 degrees year round.

I take mine lake hunting every couple weeks. No issues so far. I know minelab warns about leaving them in hot cars. Not sure if they’ve over heated, 125 degrees happens quick in a closed car. I’ve read cars will heat up inside from 130-170 degrees when temperatures are between 80-100.

I take mine lake hunting every couple weeks. No issues so far. I know minelab warns about leaving them in hot cars. Not sure if they’ve over heated, 125 degrees happens quick in a closed car. I’ve read cars will heat up inside from 130-170 degrees when temperatures are between 80-100.

never ever leave mine in car for any reason. mainly concerned that someone might see it and break the window and steal it and pawn it for drug money. such is the fate of a lot of stuff left in cars in Atlanta (even north Atlanta). A common sight is seeing a car with a trash bag duct taped to a smashed out window due to theft.

Since the Nox came out I have only seen one negative post about Minelab Repair service. They moved the repair service to PA and it is ad different as night and day.

check this video out, looks like a fix for some...

Back
Top Bottom