CTX "Pure" Wireless Headphones! Updated 5/24

SavingThePast

Forum Supporter
Hey all,
A couple weeks ago I decided to start a new project after having finished the ctx hard case I posted here. I have been wanting to get completely rid of the wire from the headphones and kept contemplating gutting the wm10 module and adapting it into a set of headphones. I finally decided to bite the bullet and give it a shot. It ended up being a way bigger project than I thought...lol
I started with wanting some really nice muffs and I decided to go with a set of Pro Ears Ultra Pro 30NRR to really block out the outside noise and they also have the leather pads like come on killer b headphones. They are also a little wider which gave me a little extra space inside and I figured I would need all the space I could get. I also wanted to make sure I used the nicest parts possible since it was going to be a one time thing. I bought low profile completely sealed potentiometers for my dual volume controls, installed a mute switch, a sealed mini usb port, 600 ohm speakers(wired in parallel so ended up with 300 ohm impedance). I really wanted to try and make them be as close to a production set as possible so I ran the leds to the external so I would still have the original function, etc. What I didn't think was....I would end up having 30 hours in building them! :(
I am amazed at how good they sound, very crisp lows and highs. I have owned/do own a few sets of a main mfg hps and I am very satisfied with the sounds from these. I guess what comes along with that though is the price. I ended up having $96 in materials and that doesn't count the map price of the m10 since I used the unit I have. All said and done if I had started from scratch it would have cost me close to $350 in parts and then to even try to figure up the labor I would rather not think about.
I am curious to what you all think about them. I even tried to make them match the ctx with a dk.grey, black and then making sure I got a little minelab red in there somewhere....

I would also like to give a big "Thanks" to Sven for helping me with speakers, and wiring info during the process!

Attachments

• pe2.jpg
    pe2.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 359
  • pe4.jpg
    pe4.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 335
  • pe5.jpg
    pe5.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 334
  • pe7.jpg
    pe7.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 336
  • pe.jpg
    pe.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 335
Last edited:
Mad skills bro! People like you and Oldbeechnut make Minelab nervous in the engineer dept. You'd think they'd be smart enough to have already done this. OBN's mods that he and others have done for years are still falling on deaf ears. Nice work! May have to try this one?:cool:

You won't have cold ears! Funny how people complain that wireless cost so much and now in this day and age the manufactures should sell them for a 5 cents.. but Charily Brown, it cost a lot to do wireless! Very nice professional job!

thanks for the nice comments all! There was alot of thought and time put into them...

Very nice. I would not have the balls to try or the skills for that matter. I would be interested in a set. I think others would also. Nice job.

Very nice. I would not have the balls to try or the skills for that matter. I would be interested in a set. I think others would also. Nice job.

thanks sarge and I dont know if I have the balls to do it with other peoples modules. one little mistake and its a $250 module down the toilet. I think one set might enough for me...lol

here is the wiring when i was in the test stage making sure the connection were right and the unit was charging properly. this photo still doesnt include the completed led mods to get them out to the cup or the speakers..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Very nice execution and clean final final product. You can tell you spent some time and money getting everything just right. Its nice to see another perfectionist on the forum!:lol:

Nice clean work. Couldn't tell these are a home project. I have tried to go wireless for my Garrett AT pro and failed and now I really want a set for my Nokta Fors gold and went with recommendations from fellow forum guys and that was a total waste of money.

thanks again all!! I got to thinking today and have decided I am going to do another update to them. If I ever forget to charge them and my battery runs dead I still want to be able to use them with the wire. I figured out the connector that is used on the gray ghost ndts so I order one and am going to install it and that way if I ever need to go hardwired because the charge dies I can just get out the quick connect cord and be good to go. Figured I might as well make them as full featured as possible... Will hopefully get that mod done sometime next week and will update with a couple more photos..

Nice clean work. Couldn't tell these are a home project. I have tried to go wireless for my Garrett AT pro and failed and now I really want a set for my Nokta Fors gold and went with recommendations from fellow forum guys and that was a total waste of money.

what setup did you go with badger? I am just curious because I modified a set of auvios for an atpro I had and they worked and sounded pretty decent with no lag. Here is the thread on the complete mod. the first page was where I moved a waterproof connector to the rear of the detector because I hated the stock headphone connection setup. The auvio wireless is on page 2.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=201946

just a thought that you might give them a shot. If you dont modify the transmitter itself and run a resistor inside the plug you will need an inline volume control to make them function correctly. The auvios are pretty hard to find anymore or I would sell you the last new set I have sitting the box. I cant make myself get rid of them though as I am thinking of doing another mod and sticking the guts of them into another hp project.

by the way, I think i came up with a name for my hp project. This pair I am thinking STP Posi-Loc MW. STP(my name), posi(dual volume- posi trac rear end in a car where both wheel spin..lol), loc(removable cord that locks into cup), mw(minelab wireless). I am doing the cord setup to this project next week once my parts get here. I am also going to build a couple sets of dual volume, locking cord, with 3 position switch(instead of 2 like on most besides the pro gold ctx version which also has 3) which will make them compatible with virtually all detectors along with also being compatible with the ctx when wanting to use a cord with the machine. I am going to call those my normal posi-loc. Kinda crazy naming them when they are just my own personal projects but I am having fun with it...:laughing: I am so impressed with how these sound that I am going to get rid of all my name brand hps and roll with my own..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom