Golf Course Day 1-6 new upload: EPIC 2 hours...EPIC

Swing360

curbstrip nut
Forum Supporter
OK team, this is a follow up of day one and then we will get into day 2 and 3, but bare with me, I am doing this from my phone and "auto correct" gets hectic sometimes when I start moving.

I will say, the condition in which the everything is coming out of the ground is remarkable. I suppose it's because it's never water logged. I will say, I'm not the first to have done the course, which means that someone did many years ago. It's ok though, because this place is vast and nothing is below 4"

1. U.M.C.Co ACME No. 12
1. 1901 REPEATER No. 12
1. U.M.C 38-55 H.P. (2")
2. REM-UMC 38 S&W (1 with bullet)
1. What looks to be a .22 rim fire she'll casing with a lid.
it is approx 1 7/8 inch. Bottom has a capital U and the other side has a M with a W underneath.
1. Wad cutter or shotgun slug

1. gold plated rivet of sorts
1. Ace universal golf cleat
1. copper rivet
1. Copper lipstick tube
1. VERY small 18k gold filled ring with ring (1/2" diameter)

5. Wheat back pennies
1. 1924 Merc

Day 2 was a good one. It started much earlier than the golf course because my brother in law and I had to drive a few hours to go pick up his new machine! F5 with phones $200 off the list. I couldn't tell if I was more excited or he was. Lol.

Once we got to the course we dialed everything in and went swinging. He ended up with his first 2 silvers that night (1900 Barber Dime, 1917 Clipped Merc) and 2 very exceptional trade tokens.

I ended up with

1. .22 casing
1. W.R.A.Co .38 S&W
1. .38 bullet
1. Blank .38 rim fire (?) Casing that has been struck twice
1. Round ball??????

1. 47 Rosie
1. No Date Buffalo
1. 1918 wheatie
1. 6 1/4 Trade Token (my first 6 1/4)

38 cents in clad

Wooo we felt the previous days digging long hours into the night. The driving range is down hill, so walking up and down it is a different pace than I am used to.

I know now that this place has been hit before. The first day I didn't know, the second day I was leary about it, but today I know. Not that it's a huge issue, I have found silver every outing and 1 ring thus far, so I know there is more.

One thing is certain and it's that this style hunting is HARD for me... I am very used to being confined to a curb strip with a very specific regiment to how I hunt it.

Curb strips are usually very noisy and I run all metal and listen to it all. This place is very quiet. I find myself aimlessly wandering about with no noise for 20 minutes sometimes only to come across a signal that is essentially "out of no where" very loud classic wheat penny or maybe silver on edge. Super odd for me.

We went from 5-11:30 this time and Jedediah pulled only 2 keepers, but I think it was because his first day he got 2 silvers and he was trying too hard with a new machine. I managed to nab a few nice keepers.

1. NO 12 Made In USA Defiance
1. REM-UMC Economy NO 12
1. REM-UMC Arrow NO 12
1. REM-UMC Arrow NO 16
2. unknown slugs (1 made impact)
1. Round ball again???? What's with it looking like a fishing weight???

1. Clarke's Pure Rye Token
1. 1987 Quarter that is WEIRD. The edges are concaved
1. 1918 SLQ (second ever) Great looking conotion
1.good for trade token for 6 1/4 cents (second ever of that denomination)

Also just over a dollar in clad and 1 SCHLAGE key

The clad quarter with wierd edges has been in saltwater at some point in it's life.

The SLQ is smokin'!

Today folks marks a monumental day for me.......:lol: (ok a little dramatic) Anyways, I'm headed to the course in PT today to join the hunt with Swing and Jedidiah armed with some info. that I got on my last recon. trip to Port Townsend. How many of you remember the historic/detecting video series I wanted to write?? Just so happens that this golf course had a secret that no one in PT that I talked to even knew about. Everyone knew it had been there forever and a day and that they thought? there used to be a football field there but no one had heard of "Cyclodrome," which was there from 1901-around 1911?." In this section of the golf course there was a big bicycle race track that drew some pretty big crowds from the pictures I have, ie; betting, money changing hands etc. It was a high banked, wooden track and when it was torn down they stuck the wood in a vertical position and built a fence around part of the course and it looks like it is still standing. Today I hope to find out for sure if my research into these "secret" spots will actually produce what I thought. I planned on going there in the future to film one of these shows after I got better with the camera, wrote a script, found a star for the show, blah, blah. So when Swing said where he was and offered the hunt I jumped 3ft in the air! :shock: My gf was in the other room and asked W T F!? I messaged Swing back and said "so you know the secret then huh?" :lol: He didn't either, but said he would wait to hit that spot until I got there. :wow: :cool: Thanks Swing! I'm loading the Clipper and sailing your way shortly ;) I think it would be easiest to keep track of if I posted my finds on this thread also? Kind of a show all, tell all? What ya'll think?

Today folks marks a monumental day for me.......:lol: (ok a little dramatic) Anyways, I'm headed to the course in PT today to join the hunt with Swing and Jedidiah armed with some info. that I got on my last recon. trip to Port Townsend. How many of you remember the historic/detecting video series I wanted to write?? Just so happens that this golf course had a secret that no one in PT that I talked to even knew about. Everyone knew it had been there forever and a day and that they thought? there used to be a football field there but no one had heard of "Cyclodrome," which was there from 1901-around 1911?." In this section of the golf course there was a big bicycle race track that drew some pretty big crowds from the pictures I have, ie; betting, money changing hands etc. It was a high banked, wooden track and when it was torn down they stuck the wood in a vertical position and built a fence around part of the course and it looks like it is still standing. Today I hope to find out for sure if my research into these "secret" spots will actually produce what I thought. I planned on going there in the future to film one of these shows after I got better with the camera, wrote a script, found a star for the show, blah, blah. So when Swing said where he was and offered the hunt I jumped 3ft in the air! :shock: My gf was in the other room and asked W T F!? I messaged Swing back and said "so you know the secret then huh?" :lol: He didn't either, but said he would wait to hit that spot until I got there. :wow: :cool: Thanks Swing! I'm loading the Clipper and sailing your way shortly ;) I think it would be easiest to keep track of if I posted my finds on this thread also? Kind of a show all, tell all? What ya'll think?

I am pumped up! We are going to have a blast. Had to take a healthy dose of Nyquil just to fall asleep. It DOES look like the weather is going to cooperate with us for awhile, so that will be good.

Cyclodrome... here we come!

The clad quarter with wierd edges has been in saltwater at some point in it's life.

The SLQ is smokin'!

I've never seen any come out of salt water like that before... weird

And yes, that SLQ is ridiculous. Not sure why they are coming out with dates here

I've never seen any come out of salt water like that before... weird

And yes, that SLQ is ridiculous. Not sure why they are coming out with dates here

First, I'm loving seeing your results Swing! Thanks for sharing.

Second, big congrats on the SLQ. She's a beaut....hope to find one of those myself someday.

Third, I would guess that funky quarter has been subject to some unique corrosion along the way that ate the copper layer out of the "sandwich". I've found clad dimes like that down on the beach in Gig Harbor. They're in much worse shape then that one, but similar along the edge with that recessed corrosion.

And finally, Cyclodrome! Awesome history and I hope you find the site and some great treasures. :mder:

Congrats on the great finds. My vote goes to the SQL for the best find so far.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

I still say you are gonna die of exposure. I know I would.

R.I.P.

OK team, this is a follow up of day one and then we will get into day 2 and 3, but bare with me, I am doing this from my phone and "auto correct" gets hectic sometimes when I start moving.

I will say, the condition in which the everything is coming out of the ground is remarkable. I suppose it's because it's never water logged. I will say, I'm not the first to have done the course, which means that someone did many years ago. It's ok though, because this place is vast and nothing is below 4"

1. U.M.C.Co ACME No. 12
1. 1901 REPEATER No. 12
1. U.M.C 38-55 H.P. (2")
2. REM-UMC 38 S&W (1 with bullet)
1. What looks to be a .22 rim fire she'll casing with a lid.
it is approx 1 7/8 inch. Bottom has a capital U and the other side has a M with a W underneath.
1. Wad cutter or shotgun slug

1. gold plated rivet of sorts
1. Ace universal golf cleat
1. copper rivet
1. Copper lipstick tube
1. VERY small 18k gold filled ring with ring (1/2" diameter)

5. Wheat back pennies
1. 1924 Merc

WOW, I just KNEW you'd find some history! I have a lipstick case lid similar to the one you have pictured. Mine came from the site of a company store at a Turpentine still that was active from 1895 until 1940'ish and then a private residence until today...

1507095_10153848737315635_942111424_n.jpg

You have a fantastic site and I'm sure its going to take a good amount of time to cover it all. You have some very nice finds already through day three. I like the SLQ which is in outstanding condition but those tokens are really neat and amazing. Congrats on it all. Jack

Back
Top Bottom