My solution to the "how to carry your T-Handle" issue: The Hip-Clip.

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
So I received my new Sampson 31" a couple of weeks ago which is just awesome! But after taking it detecting a couple of times I wanted to find a comfortable way to carry it on my belt.

The first thing I looked at was the "Ready Shovel" holster like the one sold here:
http://www.colonialmetaldetectors.com/ReadyShovel--Leather-Shovel-Holster_p_463.html

While it looks very nice, I tend to take spur of the moment detecting trips (lunch breaks at work, etc) and I don't like the idea of having to take my belt half way off to mount a holster or sheath. I'd much rather have something that can quickly clip on and off. Speaking of sheathes, I also considered one of those (I saw one for the small Sampson I think), but then I remembered that they tend to fill up with dirt if you don't clean your shovel between digs. Plus the handle of a 31" Sampson would be sticking up way too high.

Anyway, I have access to a CNC Plasma here at work so I decided to make myself a belt "clip" similar to ones I've seen posted here, so that I could just quickly clip it onto my belt, and then hang the T-handle on it.. It worked great except for one minor thing.. With the T mounted at belt level, the digging end of the shovel tends to swing and bang into my legs as I'm walking.. Ouch! Back to the drawing board.

I was trying to figure out a way to hang the shovel so that the T would be 4-6 inches above my belt line.. This way, not so much of the length of the shovel is swinging as I walk. So I'm sitting there drawing out some designs on paper and as I was looking at my ink pen it hit me! Why not mount a clip on the T-Handle itself, just like the one on my ink pen. This way I can mount it anywhere on the shovel that I want. So I cut a shape out on the plasma and made a few bends. Turned out great and works like a champ. Simple but effective! :D

Attachments

• hipclip1.jpg
    hipclip1.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,166
  • hipclip2.jpg
    hipclip2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,265
  • hipclip4.jpg
    hipclip4.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 1,142
  • hipclip-c.jpg
    hipclip-c.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,152
I would be interested in picking up a couple of these from you if you decide to sell any...maybe others on the forum would be interested also...let me know if if you can and how much they would run...again what a great idea.

I want one. Solves all the problems I have seen with the other ideas.

Let me know if you decide to start selling them.

Thanks guys. I suppose I could make up a batch of them if a few folks want them. My plate is full for the next week or two but when I get some free time I'll make up a batch and post back here. :cheers:

The reason its taking a while to get these made is because I have to wait until the CNC Plasma Op isn't busy, and for the last couple of weeks he has been swamped and having to work overtime. I haven't forgot about you guys who want a Hip-Clip. As soon as he gets caught up I'll get these cut and post an update here.

Thanks Buzz. I've seen your Bomb sheathes for the smaller Lesche. Very nice!

Thanks man,, Yeah I have a friend that tapes a wire from a hanger on the 31 and hangs it in his pocket. :lol: So I told him I would make a hanger for him that would last as long as his 31. :yes:

For those of you who have posted and PMed me wanting a Hip-Clip, I'm sorry this is taking so long guys. We've been absolutely swamped here at work so I haven't had much free time to work on these. I did finally get a batch of them cut (about 50), but I still need to de-burr them, make up a jig to bend them, paint 'em and then set up a webpage for ordering them. It won't be too much longer though. I'll continue to post updates here.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 795
Back
Top Bottom