home-made tumbler barrell..and 'KABOOM'..

Dusty Eagle

Forum Supporter
In my search for a cleaning agent for coins for my home made tumbler I'm working on, I once tried a tub & tile cleaner, "Shower Power" that we had here at home. For this experiment I decided to use 11 pennies from a recent coin hunt and 3 'donated' wheaties from my own collection that looked like they needed cleaning.

obverse in chronilogical order (or as near as I can tell)
100_2333.JPG
reverse of the coins in the same order
100_2334.JPG

I decided to get my own bottle of cleaner to try out cad coin cleaning so today I searched a few stores for the cleaner, but didn't find the same brand. So I settled on a shower tub and tile cleaner name "KABOOM" and also bought some natural aquarium gravel.
100_2336.JPG

My tumbler barrel is a 4inch PVC cap, adapter and plug, and the shaker was .... ME. :yes: for 15 minutes. (since I'm not quite finished with my motor/roller assembly on my home-made tumbler).
100_2340.JPG100_2342.JPG

This was the result!
100_2344.JPG

What do you think? Did I ruin the wheaties? Is it good enough for the clad to recirculate? Use a different cleaner?
Dusty Eagle (I suppose this should have went in 'Cleaning your finds" forum.. Sorry.)

I think they look good. I love Kaboom, works great on actual cleaning duties.

sorry to sidetrack, but can you post pics of your homebuilt tumbler? I've been trying to build my own, but haven't had much luck.

That's a great Idea for the tumbler barrel-I've been thinking of building one & I think I'm gonna try that!! What type of motor will you use? That PVC is a really great idea & cheap to make.

my home made tumbler

I'm still putting the finish touches on my design with the components I have to build my home made tumbler, but the motor I will be using is an old sump pump motor my neighbor had that he just let me have. It turns at 60 rpm. I am going to use the shaft coupling as a drive wheel and use a vacuum belt as the drive to turn one of two 1/2" PVC pipes over 8" carriage bolts. The base will be built out of wood, 2x4 frame with 3/4" base. I want to have a tray under the tumbler barrel, which is a 4" PVC Cap, 4" adapter, coupling-FT, and 4" threaded plug for the open end. The tray is to catch any seapage that can/(has) come out of the plug end. If my figures are right, the tumbler should tumble at about 9 RPM. I figure half hour or so with the about a dozen coins or so coins would be about right. I'll take pics when I get it done!
Dusty Eagle

KOOL!! Maybe you should patent that....I was thinking about maybe trying to put a rubber coating inside the PVC-Not sure if that hard PVC plastic would damage the coins or not, Probably would be fine though. You got some really good ideas :yes:

KOOL!! Maybe you should patent that....I was thinking about maybe trying to put a rubber coating inside the PVC-Not sure if that hard PVC plastic would damage the coins or not, Probably would be fine though. You got some really good ideas :yes:

The gravel will "hurt" the coins more than any PVC ever will! :yes:

Good luck on your tumbler Dusty! HH
NC

Probably better off using plastic beads, buttons or something a bit softer than gravel.

Cool tumbler idea...

I just took my homemade tumbler for a couple test turns and it worked awesomely. Yes, I said "worked", for about 8 minutes before the fins let loose from the inside of my barrel. I came out to the shop and it was quite quiet. The coins were no longer tumbling just sliding around the smooth inner surface. Turns out the "caulk" I used wasn't for under water applications. Got some liquid nails and tub and tile stuff to try. The coins were still cleaner for their time in the mix. Copper BB's and Simple Green.
Marty
P.S. Come to think of it I could take the heat gun to the sides and make some 3/8" - 1/2" indentations. Think I'll start there.

pics of my homemade tumbler

Thought I would post pics of my "Kaboom Tumbler"! :D
It's home made using an old sump pump motor and scrap material I had laying around the shop. Only thing I bought was the pipe strap, the two carriage bolts, 1/2" washers, and locknuts, and the two vaccum belts (2 in a package). I had the adapter and plug for the tumbler, but had to buy the 4" PVC cap. I think I spent about $10 total for the things I didn't have.

picture.php

I'm still working on the placement for the blocks as a belt guide. I'm also looking at building this up and making a cover for the shaft/belt area, as well as some push/pull switch. That way it would be safer. I also need to find a 'drip pan' of some sort but it must go under the 1/2" PVC pipes.

"Kaboom Tumbler" .. ready to hit the start switch! :D
picture.php

Dusty Eagle (move over Tim Allen.. DE's here!):lol:

Thought I would post pics of my "Kaboom Tumbler"! :D
It's home made using an old sump pump motor and scrap material I had laying around the shop. Only thing I bought was the pipe strap, the two carriage bolts, 1/2" washers, and locknuts, and the two vaccum belts (2 in a package). I had the adapter and plug for the tumbler, but had to buy the 4" PVC cap. I think I spent about $10 total for the things I didn't have.

picture.php

I'm still working on the placement for the blocks as a belt guide. I'm also looking at building this up and making a cover for the shaft/belt area, as well as some push/pull switch. That way it would be safer. I also need to find a 'drip pan' of some sort but it must go under the 1/2" PVC pipes.

"Kaboom Tumbler" .. ready to hit the start switch! :D
picture.php

Dusty Eagle (move over Tim Allen.. DE's here!):lol:[/QUOT

Thanks

Hey i was thinking of some sort of idea that you have, this confirms that i am not crazy, i have alot of scrap here and will post my out come in the next 2 weeks if you dont mind.

define crazy...

Oh.. you be crazy... that just makes two of us! :lol: :spin: :tumble:
Dusty Eagle

Anybody thought of just throwing the container in the dryer with the rest of the laundry? Or won't it tumble properly? Silly idea?

I like the dryer idea.....

Just don't do that when she's got her stuff in there.;) If something were to go wrong that's when it would happen.
I used liquid nails on my tumbler fins,( lucite- 1/4"x 3/8" x5") and now it works great ! Put all of last years coins in with some warm water a handful of BB's and a squirt of Fast Orange hand cleaner and presto ! Also changed the water 4 times. I wouldn't use the Fast Orange on valuable finds though, it's kind of abrasive.
Marty

it leaks a little...

It leaks a little hobbes.. but not bad. I tried to use a little vaseline on the threads for sealant. It seemed to work. Teflon tape works to seal it but I'd have to keep replacing it. I want to find a plastic lid or tray that will go just under the 1/2" pvc pipes to catch the seapage. Other than that, it works just fine.
What color should I paint it?
Dusty Eagle

why didn't I...

Hobbes...: "Gold and Silver".. now why didn't I think of that..:lol: I even have the gold paint, but I may have to buy some silver!
Dusty Eagle

Back
Top Bottom