Make Your Own Sand Scoop

Buried

Elite Member
I know a lot of you have seen those plastic sand scoops on ebay for a pretty penny, but I found a way to save some cash.

Go to your local Tractor Supply store and buy a scoop for $2.99 - Its a 3 quart plastic feed scoop. The same exact ones they are selling online for over $16.00.

Print out the attachments at 100%, make a tiny hole in the center of each hole, big enough for a black marker to fit through. Then tape those to your plastic scoop and using your black marker, make a small dot on the scoop.

Remove the paper, then use a 1/2" drill and drill through each hole carefully.
Remember to go slow!

I don't have pictures of the one I did, silly camera doesn't want to work at the moment, but I'm sure you can figure out where to place these.

Attachments

• scoops.jpg
    scoops.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 3,233
  • scoopbigside.jpg
    scoopbigside.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 3,221
  • scoopbottom.jpg
    scoopbottom.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 3,095
  • scoopsides.jpg
    scoopsides.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 3,164
When I made my scoop, I only made 3/8" holes and it worked fine in our sand here and the pulltabs didn't slip through. Put a strong magnet in the scoop too.

Thank you very much for the templates. I made one last night and your templates saved me a LOT of time. Now I need to make a second one this evening. 2 scoops for around $6 isn't a bad deal at all.

Can anyone post a pictures of theirs so I can make sure I put my holes in the right spots? I really like this idea!

there really isn't a right or wrong spot when you are dealing with dry sand if you do alot of small holes it will do the same as the bigger holes. but good job on the template if I didnt have my ss scoop i would be all over this pattern with a plastic scoop.

If you can build something your self go ahead and try it

This isn't mine but here are some pics from another forum member. http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=48083

BTW, I didn't put the holes in the side but I may decide to do that after I give it a try this evening. Also, someone mentioned placing a magnet in the scoop which I think would work great but I am not going to do that with mine because with an all plastic scoop you can wave it over your coil and know right away if you have the target in the scoop or not.

Back
Top Bottom