Battery Remover

Silversmith45

Elite Member
For those of you that have detectors that have drop in nine volt batteries, you know that they sometimes drop in easily but are extremely hard to remove. I had this problem with my CZ6 the other day. With no room to get something in to pry it out, I had to come up with something else. I ended up using a magnet from a computer hard drive.
battery.JPG
I shook the battery down as far as I could and was able to use the magnet to pull it out to where I could get a hold of it.

I have heard of removing these magnets from these plates. Anyone know how to do it?

If you grab the kidney shaped plate one both ends with pliers you can bend the plate slightly and remove the magnet, i did it a few weeks ago...

I'm wondering if you could take a piece of string and tie it into a loop to fit over the battery before inserting it and have enough to get a finger into it for removal when you remove the battery cover. Think that would work for you?

Heat the magnet with a heat gun or small torch. If you bend the plate you take a chance of peeling the chrome plating off the magnet.

Heat is bad for magnets. I put one end of the bracket in a vise, grab the other end with pliers, only need to bend a little to pop it free. The adhesive is strong, but brittle. Haven't removed any of the chrome coating yet.

I'd be a little concerned about bringing these strong magnets near sensitive electronics, too much potential for bad things happening.

It's a good idea but you might be better off using a pair of tweezers, that magnet will destroy computer chips and screens.

Too close

I'm glad it worked but I'd be fearful as the rest have stated about the magnet next to electronics. An idea that came to me was could you get a strip of silk ribbon and glue it to the battery that way when the battery is exhausted just grab the tag end and pull battery out. Or better yet use the same silk ribbon but instead of gluing you could use one wrap of scotch tape to hold it in place.
Just some ideas for ya.

SD

Back
Top Bottom