Finished My Sifter

fsa46

Forum Supporter
I finished my sifter that was copied off the one CJ uses. It measures 23" diameter with 7/32" holes. If you notice it has a spot coped out on top to hold my scoop or detector and works excellent.

When I ordered the plate from McMaster Carr it didn't end up being what I thought ( my fault ), I wanted 3/16" holes but I thought the "open area" was more than it was. Also I wasn't crazy about it being grey instead white ( notice the back ) , again my fault.

Shipping was so high and the plate cost $64.00 that I wasn't about to send it back. So, I bit the bullet and drilled out all the holes from 3/16" to 7/32" , sanded the top with very coarse sand paper and sprayed it white.

This was put to the test the other day and worked great. Dumping rocks of all sizes along with the sand handled the heavy load with no problem and sifted rapidly. The holes are small enough that I easily caught 22 calibar projectiles.

Everything is nylon or plastic except for the stainless steel nut I'm using for a toggle for my lead sinkers and that's going to be changed to a nylon nut as soon as I get to the hardware store.

Even with that nut. I still was able to run my coil over the sifter with no problem.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Looks Great and some excellent workmanship. Is that the bottom of a 25 gallon drum?

Looks Great and some excellent workmanship. Is that the bottom of a 25 gallon drum?

Thanks OBN. No, it wasn't a 25 gallon drum, it was a 45 gallon. I had cut a 25 gallon, but it was only 19" diameter and decided I wanted something bigger, the 23" dia. fits my needs perfectly and I'm glad I changed my mind.

Frank Ya done a great job my Friend!:neat:

If Ya ever want to trade it in on a new model, let me know!:D

You made a couple of creative changes that are improvements in my view, such as the place to rest you scoop, using chafing shields to protect the foam floaty and a carrying handle.

It's as close to perfection as a sifter can get.

Regards,

CJ

Frank Ya done a great job my Friend!:neat:

If Ya ever want to trade it in on a new model, let me know!:D

You made a couple of creative changes that are improvements in my view, such as the place to rest you scoop, using chafing shields to protect the foam floaty and a carrying handle.

It's as close to perfection as a sifter can get.

Regards,

CJ

Thanks CJ.

Now this looks like something I want to get in on ;)

soooo what are the requirements of the ultimate floating shifter?

non-metalic
stable in the waves
proper drainage
lanyard
anti-corrosive fasteners
inexpensive

perks you added... scoop holder

NICE! but where to find it mostly assembled... that is the mission

That is an awesome idea! If I did water detecting I'd try to recreate this idea. Maybe add a cup holder ;) Great job!

hey fsa, I started drilling holes man my wrist are acing. anyway I now have to deburr all the holes. It's looking pretty good. Thank's for your this morning, I'm working on it tomorrow after a beach hunt.

Back
Top Bottom