Digging around cemetery

J hoss

What's everyones thoughts on detecting around cemetery's . I'm not talking about the graves themselves but the areas around parking areas, fences, roadways etc.

Personally i fibd it disrespectful anywhere inside the gates. Just my opinion

Hi J Hoss, this question has been asked many many many times. Please do a forum search and you will see all the post. Sometimes it gets a little heated and probably a lot of members wont respond to this thread because it's been debated to death (no pun intended). Anyway welcome and GL. HH Tom

As stated before,it seems to just be "bad form". I think even if you have noble intentions and wouldn't work in and around burial plots themselves,being anywhere nearby would just look bad. A person would see you with a detector working the fence line and assume you'd be doing everything else,even though it may not be the case. It's called "presumptive guilt". That being said,I'm not sure what would even be in and around a cemetery,besides stuff that was actually buried with the people there....

Sorry guys I didn't intend to ruffel any feathers. I Live close to a cemetery that is close to a civil war encampment. but if just bringing up the topic causes issues I would say I have my answer. thanks for everyone's input.

I once spoke with a guy who has been detecting since the 70s and he said he would neer go inside the gate. But he would definitely go outside (at old cemeteries) because people would have picnics and drop coins.

I hunted one out East in Rhode Island somewhere last year, inside the gates and all, HOWEVER, it was about 300 yards into the woods, totally abandoned, and I'm 100% certain nobody was around.
I do agree it is poor form to hunt in and around cemeteries because somebody might see you and get the wrong impression.
Hypocritical? maybe, but like I said, this was in the middle of the woods and abandoned.

Not. Like my omega can read 6' down and through concrete
Maybe with the coming 60" nel after a light rain

Did not want to get started on this thread. I've seen enough death and dying to last several lifetimes. I will respect a person's final resting place as sacred ground. I don't care if it is hidden, abandoned, 200 years old or unused, if someone is buried there then show some respect.

Outside/away from the graves is fine. Have done it. There are often churches, community centers and their parking lots, etc. nearby. One spot has a sports field on the other side of the fence from the grave yard.

Attachments

• notagain.jpg
    notagain.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 889
If your that desperate for a place to hunt im sure you have concidered stealing food from an orphanage and stealing your christmas presents from the donation trees they set up for the underprivileged. I personally don't think I'm disrespectful enough to hunt anywhere close to a cemetery! Inside outside the gate it's all the same. Pure disrespectful garbage!!!! I couldn't imagine what all the people driving by looking at you swinging a detector just outside where one of there loved ones are burried are thinking. Probably just thought that you were just inside the gates and dug up that war medal that they burried just under the grass that was grandpa's. No idea maybe someone scattered ashes with jewlery in it next to the gates believing they were doing so on protected ground never thinking some scum bag would come and try to steal from the dead! It's just sick to dig anywhere near a cemetery! Should be jailed if you do!

One of the worst and most disrespectful things I ever see is when someone moves or destroys a Cemetery/burial ground for building development or road expansions, e.t.c.
Anything inside the walls of a Cemetery is Sacred ground and should never be disturbed for anything.
If you have found A Civil war camp than it should be large enough to go far enough from the cemetery walls out of harms way ,unless there were Civil war soldiers buried there from a skirmish or other means where there may be unmarked graves outside the given perimeter and than I would not even attempt it.

I was asked to use a detector, to help find pieces for a fence that had broken down over time. The guy was working on it to make it look like it used to look. I was not there to look for anything else.

The way I look at it is, I bought my detectors to find things, and help other people !!!

So if you say I was wrong to help the guy, in my opinion your wrong.

I was asked to use a detector, to help find pieces for a fence that had broken down over time. The guy was working on it to make it look like it used to look. I was not there to look for anything else.

The way I look at it is, I bought my detectors to find things, and help other people !!!

So if you say I was wrong to help the guy, in my opinion your wrong.

Totally different, you weren't looking for treasures you were helping a fence be fixed

There is an old school house near my house, on one side of the property well use to have a street inbetween the cemetary and the school house. That said I only hunted right infront of the school near the flag pole on the other side of the original copicut road and still left after 10 min for not feeling right about it

I suppose that if a groundskeeper were digging weeds with a 31" Sampson T-handle that would be different than a detectorist how?

Back
Top Bottom