Indian Head spill and a big green surprise (REVEALED)

Ok I give up, to much effort for there not to be a prize haha I’ll keep my eye for an answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, OK. I've built it up too much. Just as you all did, my mind went right away to a large cent. I've never found one. All the way home I couldn't wait to clean it up.

But, when I got home it was soon apparent that a large cent was not meant to be....but, what was it?

1865 French 10 cent piece with bust of Napoleon III.
Minted 1852 to 1865.

The mint mark is visible, so it is Strassburg with a mintage of about 4.7 million.

Not a particularly valuable coin, but pretty neat nonetheless, and especially to be found in Kentucky. This is all part of the fun of the hobby. A fun find, older than 99% of the coins I dig, and I doubt I'll dig another.

I think it's also a good find because it likely wasn't dropped a few years or even decades ago. Given the patina and what I know of the property, I think it was likely dropped between 1880 and 1920 by somebody that had received it as a gift from someone who traveled to France for military operations.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...-km-798.1-1861-1865-cuid-1176209-duid-1248286

Attachments

• IMG_20191215_233927.jpg
    IMG_20191215_233927.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 324
  • IMG_20191215_234043 (1).jpg
    IMG_20191215_234043 (1).jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 354
Sweet coin, fun watching more knowledgeable folks try and figure it out. I thought it was a Chuckee Cheese token but didn’t want to say anything :lol:

Sweet coin, fun watching more knowledgeable folks try and figure it out. I thought it was a Chuckee Cheese token but didn’t want to say anything :lol:

Ha! My 8 year old daughter actually found a Chuck E Cheese token at this same property. She was thrilled. I've been detecting this permission with her. Lots of good signals to dig, lots of weird stuff, safe place to be, she doesn't have to be too tidy, I'm not in a huge hurry, etc... There are lots of places I won't take her because they aren't that safe, or I have to be too tidy or speedy, or the good targets are just too hard to hear and few/far between.

Nice find, how far from wv are you? A guy recently found several French coins from the 1800s here along the Ohio river bank.

Nice find, how far from wv are you? A guy recently found several French coins from the 1800s here along the Ohio river bank.

A few hours from West Virginia. This property is a few miles away from the Ohio River.

I actually think I have an idea of how it got here. I'll eventually post the wrap up from this property. Probably in the spring. It's turning out to be pretty interesting.

A few hours from West Virginia. This property is a few miles away from the Ohio River.

I actually think I have an idea of how it got here. I'll eventually post the wrap up from this property. Probably in the spring. It's turning out to be pretty interesting.

I’ll be looking forward to it, might explain the local finds to [emoji1303]

I must have brought you good luck. Spent Friday and Saturday nights in Louisville for the U OF L Graduation. Eldest Grandson graduated Friday night. Yep I show up and the good stuff shows up for you. I was thankful that the weather was half way decent. Very Nice bunch of finds.

Ha! My 8 year old daughter actually found a Chuck E Cheese token at this same property. She was thrilled. I've been detecting this permission with her. Lots of good signals to dig, lots of weird stuff, safe place to be, she doesn't have to be too tidy, I'm not in a huge hurry, etc... There are lots of places I won't take her because they aren't that safe, or I have to be too tidy or speedy, or the good targets are just too hard to hear and few/far between.

Very, very cool man. My daughter is 11 and has little interest in detecting.

I must have brought you good luck. Spent Friday and Saturday nights in Louisville for the U OF L Graduation. Eldest Grandson graduated Friday night. Yep I show up and the good stuff shows up for you. I was thankful that the weather was half way decent. Very Nice bunch of finds.

Congrats to your grandson. I'll take all the luck I can get!

Very cool find! I found an 1864 earlier this year here in western PA. Someone else on here also found one not too long ago. I’m wondering if they were accepted as legal tender here in the U.S. like British coppers and Spanish silver were? Or maybe dropped by French fur traders who frequented the Ohio River Valley?

Nice! Found my first IHP. 1906 too. Excellent shape as well. Can read liberty on head band.

Depending on where they were found, I'm sure they could have been souveniers lost by Franco-Prussian War vets too. Super neat find! :D

Back
Top Bottom