Pointers

Mike, do you believe that a gold ring which has been buried for some time in certain soils can take on the appearance of dirt? I have had a handful of soil, knowing that the find was in that soil, yet I could not see it. The pointer is a tool. It is a very effective tool and in the case of the ring the pointer showed me exactly where it was. It is a great time saver and very necessary in my estimation.

Last edited:
Everyone has an Opinion.

I've never owned one because I hunt 100% on the beach.

I also Detect On Beaches.I've often went so deep that my scoop won't work anymore,And the Coil won't fit in the Hole anymore(I don't dig Bomb Craters)...thats when I go for a Kitchen sized Plastic Spoon/Ladle with the Handle cut off and my PinPointer.Ken

You're right, you don't need you but you will speed up your recovery time immensely. The quicker your recovery time the more targets you can dig. The more targets you dig the more your odds of finding something good.

Mike, do you believe that a gold ring which has been buried for some time in certain soils can take on the appearance of dirt? I have had a handful of soil, knowing that the find was in that soil, yet I could not see it. The pointer is a tool. It is a very effective tool and in the case of the ring the pointer showed me exactly where it was. It is a great time saver and very necessary in my estimation.

Interesting. I'm new to the hobby so that may explain my...
Thanks!

I'm serious as a heartbeat when I say...."I woulda simply quit this hobby within 2 months back in 2010." The fun began with my first pinpointer.

Why would anybody elect to work harder at any hobby, stubbornly? It's hot here in Texas. The ground here is knarly and "dark-clay", so a simple clad dime gives a challenge, with no decent pinpointer in hand.

I guess the Garrett "carrot" is still the popular choice of many, eventually I'd like to upgrade to one from my budget level one with the reputation the carrot has for durability.

I love mine but I would still consider myself a newbie. I am getting better at understanding what my machine is telling me. But the pin pointer is great at shallow targets and helps keep my holes small.

I'm pretty new to metal detecting, but now that I use a pointer I find my detecting more enjoyable and more efficient. When I think I have a target, I scan the ground with the pointer to see if the find is near the surface. If it is, no need to dig much. When I do need to dig, I find myself making smaller holes because the probe tells me how close I am to the item.

I don"t really see the benefit of a pointer.
Am I wrong?

Can they be beneficial? Sometimes, generally with extremely small items.

People detected for years without them, and did just fine. Nowadays, pinpointers are just like the local drive-thru fast food joint, they're just a convenience for those in a hurry, or never learned how to cook (or pin point in this case).

Seems like most here would give-up detecting if they couldn't use a pin pointer. Pin pointing is really not that hard with some practice. Maybe someone should be making instructional youtube videos on how to pin point with a detector, instead of regurgitating the same ol same ol.

I have a screwdriver I've welded a 1" flat washer to, and 7-8 times out of 10 I can pop out a coin on the 1st attempt. If not, then it's generally just a bit deeper, and not off to the side.

They're biggest benefit for someone is lightening your wallet by well-over $100 :lol:

Yup. You're wrong...I've been detecting about right at a year. Never hunted without one and hope to never have to try. I makes things much easier...It's a very useful tool in your arsenal and worth buying a good one...

Seems to me that unless you're strictly hunting clad that a pinpointer is a necessity. I'm usually looking for silver, gold or relics and sure don't want to scar up some nice find with a probe. Has nothing to do with my pinpointing skills with the detector, my Xterra 705 is awesome at pinpointing on it's own. Almost always get within an inch with the 705.

I'm a hobby woodworker and I'd never go in the shop without a planer or jointer. Yes, I could do it all with my table saw and hand planes, but the hobby is so much more enjoyable with the right tools. JMO

You're going to be grabbing hand fulls of dirt and waving them in front of your coil without a pin pointer.:yes:

I'll go a step further, and explain the process...

Pinpoint

Either "pop" or dig a plug.

Check plug

If in the plug, break apart from bottom, find target

If not in plug, re-scan because you either missed it, or it's deeper.

Many who talk about "speed" will spend minutes trying to determine what's under the coil, while I'm already in the dirt, so I don't follow the thought process there.

I detect as a hobby I enjoy, not as a race to the finish-line. If I have to make a job of something, with some sort of time limit, or goal to hit, it's no longer enjoyable. If I find something, cool. If not, I enjoyed the day, and having the ability to do so. Many don't. Life's too short to race toward the end.

As I've always said, there's only one way to know what's in the dirt, and that's to dig it.

I find a pinpointer pretty useful. It helps me not make a mess when I am hunting in parks or peoples yards.

Tru

Agree with all of the above - you need one. Saves so much time an aggravation.

Back
Top Bottom