Question aout pinpointing devices

BufordCityDawg

Elite Member
I've been using the pinpointing device that came with my BH detector. If I tune it just right, I can get about 3/4" range out of it. What is the range of some of the higher end units?

BCD

I've been using the pinpointing device that came with my BH detector. If I tune it just right, I can get about 3/4" range out of it. What is the range of some of the higher end units?

BCD

Usually more.
On coin sized objects I can get about 2-3" with a Detectnix model.
My Proponters usually are about the same but I figured out how to get more like 4-6" which is helpful to me.
Some don't want or need these things to go that far but I have my reasons and it does help me zero in quickly with this greater range.
Others out there go anywhere from the 2-3" range to further depending on the brand or type like some other pulse induction units.

I have one exactly like yours, the Fisher F pointer which is basically the same thing.
Not thrilled with the cheap build and the short range, I would use it as a doorstop but it isn't really good at that either.
Better than nothing but my Harbor Freight unit was actually better.

Think about getting something better from the $90 Detectnix X pointer unit on up.
A world of difference that you don't have a clue about till you use one.
One hunt and you will see why they are worth the money.

Usually more.
On coin sized objects I can get about 2-3" with a Detectnix model.
My Proponters usually are about the same but I figured out how to get more like 4-6" which is helpful to me.
Some don't want or need these things to go that far but I have my reasons and it does help me zero in quickly with this greater range.
Others out there go anywhere from the 2-3" range to further depending on the brand or type like some other pulse induction units.

I have one exactly like yours, the Fisher F pointer which is basically the same thing.
Not thrilled with the cheap build and the short range, A would use it as a doorstop but it isn't really good at that either.
Better than nothing but my Harbor Freight unit was actually better.

Think about getting something better from the $90 Detectnix X pointer unit on up.
A world of difference that you don't have a clue about till you use one.
One hunt and you will see why they are worth the money.

My Carrot gets 2.75" max and that's only on a nickel. Pennies, dimes and quarters get around 2-2.5". A friend's Carrot roughly matches these results on coin sized targets in air. I'd like to see vids of a Carrot getting distances on clad coins at 3-4 inches. It would be best to benchmark on a standard penny.

The X-pointer reigns champ for the dollar IMO. It's very close to the Carrot on pennies, dimes and quarters. Even the X-pointer likes nickels for some odd reason, and it's $40 cheaper.

BCD

just go to youtube, there are plenty of depth tests on most of the higher end pin pointers....compared to the garrett,x pointer,minelab,whites etc..its like night n day compared to the one you have!

Those that like the xpointer pulse pointer you may want to check out the new waterproof land and sea by gold digger. Reputable US company with similar tech. $99

I figured you did on purpose lol

My Pinpointer gets between 1 and 3 inches, weird though as it is a newer one, and it seems my older one was deeper....weird.

Yes 1-3" is the norm, and that includes the Garret Propointer AT. 3-4" is unrealistic on pennies, dimes and quarters. Just ask 10 users at random.

Yes 1-3" is the norm, and that includes the Garret Propointer AT. 3-4" is unrealistic on pennies, dimes and quarters. Just ask 10 users at random.

Sorry, not exactly true.
I easily get repeatable clicks on coins that are 5-6" deep from the top of the ground, even bone dry ground, when fully supertuned.
Did it all day yesterday.
In the 3-4" range just by holding the unit regular and not fully supertuning I get 3-4" loud and clear easily.
Out of the box it won't get that far I agree, but I have been doing it this way for years and would never hunt any other way.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

I like my Detectnix unit just fine, the fact that you can turn off the vibrator or the sound is cool, but I can't get it to supertune at all and it won't come close to the range of my PP.
Also it uses batteries up pretty quick even though I rarely use it with the vibrator on.
Lots if good choices out there for handhelds...more than ever before.

Sorry, not true.
I easily get repeatable clicks on coins that are 5-6" deep from the top of the ground when fully supertuned.
Did it all day yesterday.
In the 3-4" range just by holding theunitregular and not fully supertuning I get 3-4" loud and clear easily.
Out of the box it won't get that far I agree, but I have been doing it this way for years and would never hunt any other way.
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=82678

Supertune is not what I'm talking about. Factory mode, no tricks.

Sure you can trick about any PPr but let's keep a constant and be realistic. Test coins, not cans, and don't superune. And, test in air. Air is a constant we all have.

We all need to remember that we answer questions from pinpointer newbies looking for a pinpointer. No tricks, just constant facts. I'd be confused if I was one of these folks asking.

Its a good idea to learn how to hunt without one...you will invariably lose it or it will break...:laughing:

Anyway, I have an Fpoint...for all the bad press it deservedly gets, there are a few uses that make it worth while to have around...For stabbing clad, that thin finger goes right down a hole to locate a coin tipped on edge...for chains in the grass roots, you can sort of stab it around under the sod...the things range is so short, it has to about touch on object to locate it, so that makes it perfect for these two scenarios...

One other thing, when you turn it on, it buzzes like a yellow jacket, so someone unfamiliar with it could easily confuse it as a stun gun or cattle prod device if you brandish it in a serious looking fashion!:laughing: Thats about it, oh yeah, a door stop too!
Mud

Of all I've used the TRX is the deepest where I live. I have one of the very first ones made though. Fixing to order a new one and compare since I don't need to try any other brand again or i'll lose the depth I am personally after. I don't use the flashlight so I could care less if it is dim or burns out.

Supertune is not what I'm talking about. Factory mode, no tricks.

Sure you can trick about any PPr but let's keep a constant and be realistic. Test coins, not cans, and don't superune. And, test in air. Air is a constant we all have.

We all need to remember that we answer questions from pinpointer newbies looking for a pinpointer. No tricks, just constant facts. I'd be confused if I was one of these folks asking.

Not a trick in my mind, just my natural way to use it and I would never hunt any other way as do many others.
Very normal for me and in my world realistic and not confusing at all, IMO, anyway.
Just like modding a Compadre to take other coils a permanent part of my arsenal.
As a matter of fact Garrett should add an extra adjustable but fitted thumb piece in all their boxes if they were smart, I believe.
If you don't want or have a need to do it this way fine, but even newbies should know all the options...even easy and worthwhile improvements to proven products.

Yeah I wouldn't even want a pinpointer with 3 4 inches depth. I pinpoint well with my detector so no need for anymore than a few inches of detection from a pinpointer imo

Not a trick in my mind, just my natural way to use it and I would never hunt any other way as do many others.
Very normal for me and in my world realistic and not confusing at all, IMO, anyway.
Just like modding a Compadre to take other coils a permanent part of my arsenal.
As a matter of fact Garrett should add an extra adjustable but fitted thumb piece in all their boxes if they were smart, I believe.
If you don't want or have a need to do it this way fine, but even newbies should know all the options...even easy and worthwhile improvements to proven products.

Options are one thing but we're talking about factory results

Back
Top Bottom