Propointer madness...I knew I wasn't crazy!

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
I love my Propointer.
As a matter of fact, I got so good with it that I don't really ever want to hunt without it.
I can, but I would just rather not, and after almost losing my first one 2 times I just got a spare...just in case.

I have seen all the threads and videos about supertuning and I do use this technique all the time, but I don't feel like messing around with moving coins up and down the shaft so I came up with a better and much faster way, for me.
I just put a ring of metal around my thumb and wear it throughout my hunts.
I can instantly supertune using one hand just by moving my hand up and back a bit, and I can even do this while my hand is inside a hole.
Fast and efficient...and I like it.

I have been doing this for awhile and I thought I noticed another benefit from doing this but I wasn't sure...now I am.

I have come across several signals that were pretty deep, and if you use this fine instrument you know that the sound and vibrations will increase as you get closer to a target.
Once you get to the end of the field, (before supertuning, or after), you still might get a few clicks and then, out of range, nothing.

I usually use just my right hand with the metal ring on my thumb to locate targets with the PP, but once in awhile I do switch the PP to my left hand.
I discovered that just by wearing that piece of metal on my thumb my range increases...before supertuning!

The other day I had 3 signals I tested this theory on.

All 3 targets were able to be picked up from the top of the ground before I dug a hole.
I could tell they were down there, but I still had a few clicks and vibrations and could zero in on the location.
I switched the PP to my left hand and all trace of those signals went away.
Back to the right hand, they came back.

Evidently, just by having this piece of metal on my thumb and holding the PP way back on the handle, the metal will also cause the unit to go a little further than it would without that piece of metal in the vicinity.
It is slightly supertuned before I move my thumb up and back to supertune it the regular way.

This has made me even a little faster in my recovery than I was before I started to wear that ring of metal, because I actually have to go the whole supertuning route less times per hunt, which is not a big deal but does take an extra second or two on targets that are a little deeper.

I am not crazy...this works.

I have used big mouth bottle top rings and some pieces of wire hangers I have cut up as that thumb metal, and I have found the thicker the metal the better this works.
The piece you see in the pictures is my current one and it seems to be working great and is my best one yet.
I always wear gloves and this ring is big enough to go over the glove and my thumb and stay in place.

The Propointer makes you fast, supertuning helps a lot, my method for using this great tool will make you faster still.

Give it a try.

HH

##EDIT##

I have discovered since I posted this that the larger the piece of metal you wear, the better this technique works.

Aim for something like Silversmith did below for optimum results.
Currently, I am using a a 1/2 inch 2 hole EMT pipe strap that I bent to fit around my thumb.

About $2.50 for a bag of 10 at Home depot.

strap.jpg

Attachments

• P1010837.jpg
    P1010837.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,266
  • P1010836.jpg
    P1010836.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2,271
  • P1010835.jpg
    P1010835.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 2,292
Thats a great idea. The way I do it is I have a rubber ban around the pro pointer with a nickel on it. That works good too.

and don't forget about "detuning" your pinpointer, i find this even more useful in target recovery

Digger, you should be working for a metal detecting company testing their md's in real life situations and writing reports. You are doing all the research for them!!!!

Good tips

I read this thread at work yesterday, so I decided to make me a ring and try it out. It seems to help since my Pro Pointer never has seemed to have very much depth even on shallow coins. I'll have to see how this works out.
PPR.gif
PPR2.gif

We have two pro pointers and never heard of fine tuning them. Our pro pointer is fantastic but occassionly will act weird. Not sure I understand about tuning the PP, but does sound interesting.

Nice trick! Thanks for sharing. I guess one of the benefits of being married is that I have to wear a ring. Super tuning worked great for me this morning.

So how about a video of your way vs the rubber band and coin method.

I have had a few people ask me for my recovery technique in the past since I think my method is very fast, but every time I try I get frustrated because I find it is not easy to hold the camera and try to make a decent video by myself.
Kudos to all of you that make this look easy.

A pinpointer video will probably be much easier so I will work on that on my next hunt.

Wow!
Great post Digger. Will try this. I will be contacting Mr T today to borrow a few things.:yes:

Yep...yep and yep.
I supertune every hunt.
I just sewed a huk o metel on to my glove.
Takes bit a second.
40e3fa90.jpg

Seriously guys/gals...give it a try. Ive gotten clicks 5" down...makes for fast recovery and small plugs..if any....

I don't get it (the super tuning thing) all I saw you do is move your finger forward 2 inches. I guess it will make more sense to me when I get my pro pointer in 2 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom