whats the best detector for the money?

chevyman10709

New to metal detecting and have a cheap one but i was wanting to get everyones opinion on what is the best detector for the money and for a beginner? thanks!

I see a lot of people using the ace 250 from Garett .... I've never owned one, but from what I understand they are a great machine for an inexpensive price. Very good entry level machine. Good luck in whatever you decide, and welcome to the forum & hobby!!!!

I see a lot of people using the ace 250 from Garrett.
That's my first one. Bought it off another member. Works great. Got the whole newbie package for $165 (smokin' deal). Make sure you leave some room in the budget for a ProPointer. If Santa doesn't leave me one, I'll be buying one from Amazon that same day. I have loads of gift cards there to use unless a dealer can make an attractive offer (hint, hint).:lol:

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of Ace 250's out there. I have never used one but lots of people swear by them. I would talk to the forum sponsors and see what kind of deal they can work up for you.

Tesoro Compadre. :cool:

yes!!!!!!!!

The compadre will teach you the hobby with a low entry fee.
The compadre will also pay you back with lots of finds;)

Don't be foooled with the screens aka VDI numbers of any machine learning the sounds is key to finding good stuff

I am pretty new also and have the Ace 250 and am getting the 9x12 coil this weekend, and Propointer next week for a birthday gift. Overall I love the Ace. It has been easy to learn and always gives you finds. Hope this helps.

New to metal detecting and have a cheap one but i was wanting to get everyones opinion on what is the best detector for the money and for a beginner? thanks!

Not sure of your price range but you can pick up a used minelab xterra 305 for a little over 200$ either on forums or Ebay.

For its price it packs a lot of punch and also has a ground balance feature. IMO its way better than getting say a fisher f2, ace 250, coinmaster, or umax. I have used all those models. Most after buying one of those will usually upgrade not to long after.

The 305 is simple enough with just the right amount of complexity and detectiing power to keep you busy for a long time.

Hope this helps, HH!!

If you like hitting coins, take a hard look at the F2. Beast on coins. Good Luck!

best for the money

Tesoro Compadre
Fisher F2
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Vaquero
You would be thrilled with any of these, but I prefer Tesoro for power and no nonsense detecting.

Much depends on where you'll be using it, your budget and what you'll be hunting for. There are machines that excell on the beach, others at coins in dirt, others at nugget hunting and highly mineralised soils, etc. No one machine is the best for the money at every job for every person. A machine that it's a $1000 budget isn't going to be the same as one for a $200 budget.

If you define budget and the area you want to hunt and what you want to find you can get some pretty specific answers!

Ace 250 is what I started with as well.but you will have the urge to get a stronger machine down the road.

I used to think that the Garret ace 250 was the best detector for the money , that or the fisher f2. If you dont want a target ID screen then its the tesoro compadre. However , when determining the best "for the money" you should also factor in how long you would be happy with it before feeling you should upgrade. For that reason I have changed my way of thinking and would have to say the garrett AT pro probably fits the bill a lot better than the others. It is more expensive , and I have not used one personally so I am going by what Ive read and heard about the detector , and if it is the detector its claimed to be then its a no brainer. Easy enough for a beginner , has both tone ID and visual , can compete with pretty much anything out there , and its very likely that a person will never feel they need to upgrade.....atleast until someone can improve on it. You may be able to buy a cheaper detector , or a detector that does one or two things better than the AT pro , and again I have to say " if the detector is what its claimed to be" , I dont see any others on the market that can do so much as well as it does or has as much to offer as it does , and from first hand reports that Ive seen from users , its proving to be true. Since Im not speaking from first hand experience , you can take what I am saying with a grain of salt , but even $150- $200 is a lot of money to spend on something you will outgrow shortly , and an easy to use and highly functional detector that may never need to be upgraded seems like the best buy for the money to me.

I sent you a PM... You're in Ringgold GA, find your local metal detector dealer (there is one local to you) and go see them. Talk to them about what you want to do and they'll be able to give you lots of advice. Being new to the hobby, take my advice, buy from them. There's this thing called "service after the sale" and NOBODY can offer as good of service as your local dealer who you buy from.

Back
Top Bottom