Can you live off of your detector?

Ark

Elite Member
You've got 2 minutes to pack your bag. You are now living on the streets with a few extra clothes, 1 set of spare batteries, and your metal detector. Oh, and you no longer have a job or bank account.

Do you think you could make it on the streets with your detector? For a year?

If my objective was to live like an animal in a tent and eat Ramen twice a day, probably... but in that case, I'd rather sell the metal detector and use the money to eat until I found a job. The idea of 'metal detecting for a living' is fantasist type stuff, almost child-like in its naivete.

The discussion has been had here and on many other MD forums. It basically boils down to your willingness to accept a low-level 3rd World standard of living. If so, then probably, yeah. All of this is exclusive of people who might have unusual opportunities available to them.

???

No. I'd be too busy looking for a job. Ok, sorry.:D I'll play along. NO. Certainly not if my totals for the last 25-30 years are any indication. No capability to get around far, expect a few bucks a day. Very difficult.

Last edited:
You could play along. :)

I wonder if the people taking handouts in the middle of traffic would make more than someone hunting the beach or park for loose change. Those people are getting paper bills at every red light.

I wonder if the people taking handouts in the middle of traffic would make more than someone hunting the beach or park for loose change.

Massively more. At my last job, my office overlooked just such a corner, that was regularly occupied by sign carrying beggars.
They raked it in.

I would need my 4X4 to get to the gold fields. After that, it's anybodys guess. But if I died, at least I went doing something I wanted to do!!!

Dusty

You could do a lil of both ask for money,hunt everwhere possible. I bet if that was the case we would do better than we are as it being our hobby. A bum with a detector probably would look better than us haha people would be like well at least he is trying and he wouldn't get stopped from hunting any place, that would make a great reality show

Well..

If I had to live off what I have found in the past couple of months...:lol:
I would have to say NO.

NO
not with the little money i find, and to even atempt to hunt for longer periods of time would kill me, the dirty clothes, the smell of me sweating and not to mention i eat alot, i could never sustain myself

NO
not with the little money i find, and to even atempt to hunt for longer periods of time would kill me, the dirty clothes, the smell of me sweating and not to mention i eat alot, i could never sustain myself

Just hunt the parks when they have the sprinklers on. :) hahah

For the hours spent, doubt there is steady enough return for the energy exerted. You would need to sleep sometime, and there are other forms of treasure hunters, living on the streets. Might be a little tough holding on to your source of income, which surprisingly, also looks a lot like a whole case of whiskey... Living in the streets, I'd think your more basic survival needs, would tend to cut into your treasure hunting time; food, water, and shelter. Right now, it's very hot outside, but you have the option to stop your hunt, and cool off inside, with air conditioning and a cold beer. Soon, the torrential rains will begin, don't imagine there will be much hunting then. Then comes the winter, keep swinging, and you should stay warm enough, but you burn a lot of energy, and will require more high-calorie foods.

Metal detecting is more of an adventure, swing the coil, read the signal, dig the hole, hope for an amazing find. Worst thing, is a disappointing pull-tab, or piece of foil, a small failure, disappointment. Failure to survive, is death, which of course is very disappointing.

If I could live off what Max in Va Beach or Gary in South Florida find, then sure. Otherwise, my sorry 260lbs would be down to my high school weight in no time. IF I HAD TO . . . I'd move to the Florida beaches to give myself a fighting chance. :)

You could play along. :)

I wonder if the people taking handouts in the middle of traffic would make more than someone hunting the beach or park for loose change. Those people are getting paper bills at every red light.

OMGOSH... are you kidding, those guys rake

You have to have the look... I'm a sucker for them too :lol:
The really good ones don't even have to speak, they just stand there with the smile and that humble look. I know several exit ramps where I've seen the same guy for years. If they are good you just get a buck and wave him over... kinda like a good morning bro, good to see ya

I will try to get a picture of my favorite pan handler and you will see (the look) I wish the hell I had it because that dude makes a bundle everyday on that ramp. Of course he would probably kill you if you tried to take his spot LOL

Oh and you don't dress like a bum or smell or wear funny clothes... It's just a captivating facial expression with a humble and i mean humble smile... clearly it's on loan from God and you can't fake it.

You've got 2 minutes to pack your bag. You are now living on the streets with a few extra clothes, 1 set of spare batteries, and your metal detector. Oh, and you no longer have a job or bank account.

I think you could, but you would have to break law's and regulations to do it, by mding in places you don't belong.

First, let us know how much money is required to be "making it".

Minimum wage? That's $290 per week, every week of the year. Unless you're finding gold jewelry and caches and big meteorites and Confederate belt buckles, no way.

In nearly 40 years of swinging a detector, I don't think I've ever found $290 in a week. Ever.

By the way, I did a podcast on this very subject (though with parameters a bit wider). It's show #25 at http://thetreasurecorner.com.

Back
Top Bottom