Research Idea

CTKidd

Elite Member
I just wanted to post this as an idea for researching new places to hunt.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Anyone who Geocaches already probably has already figured this out, but for those of you who don't, the down and dirty is:

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."
- Taken from the Geocaching.com website

Now if you go to this website you can put in different modes of searching for geocache's in your area. Zip code, key words ect. " There are 1,213,925 active geocaches around the world." (geocaching.com) Now geocaches can be hid pretty much anywhere. There is one at my local icecream parlor, my local movie theatre and at my local chinese resteraunt, but you will also find them in places of interest. Geocaching will take you to places in your own town and you will be saying, "I never knew this was here." Ask any geocacher and they will tell you it happens daily.

For those of you with a smart phone such as an Iphone or Droid, there are free applications where you can use your phone as a GPS unit. I have logged over 100 geocache finds, and I have soley used my Droid phone.

The nice thing about geocaching is that you can do it year round and regardless of weather if you plan accordingly. It gets you out of the house and you can go on a nice hike and while your at it, find new areas to metal detect. Also its very kid friendly. I started taking my daughter when she was two. The larger geocaches, quart size or larger, usually have trinkets inside. The idea being you can take a trinket and you leave a trinket. My daughter calls in treasure hunting. If she got tired I would just toss her up on my shoulders. A lot of times I would pack a picnic lunch and we would go hiking in the park, stop and have a picnic, find a couple of geocaches and call it a day.

I can not begin to tell you the number of old foundations, parks, waterfalls, swimming holes, historical area's, bridges, graves and root cellars I have found because of geocaching. My wife has lived in our hometown her entire life, 35 years. I have taken her to parks and waterfalls that she didn't know were 5 minutes from our house. I talk to people in the local diner about some of these places and only a small number of them have any idea where they are, but the ones that do, can usually give a little history about it. Two of the most interesting places I have found were lone grave sites. The first one was on the side of a hill, nothing else around just trees rocks ect, and it was dated early 1900's. The young man had been struck by lightening in that very spot. The second grave stone, a few towns over, was of a soldier that had died of small pox. Again, nothing else around but rocks, and trees.

So if your snowed in, rained in, or just looking for a way to perhaps find new area's to metal detect. Do a search on the above website, you might be suprised at what you find.

Happy Hunting,
CTKidd

I'm not the only one then. Geocaching has given me a couple of new spots to hunt in too. One of which I think is quite promising.

Back
Top Bottom