Return to the honey hole

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
We had a bit of rough weather here during the week, so I had to wait till the weekend to get out to the honey hole that produced the gold coin pendant and 9 gold rings the week before.

When I got down there I found to my dismay it appeared sand was already moving back in, AND it was still a bit rough which really gave me a moment to pause and consider going in given I'd already trashed a nemo. In then end I decided no guts no glory.

As I suspected, most of the area was sanded in, so I worked the few areas left but I went super slow and dug everything. None of this cherry picking nonsense.

There weren't many obvious signals left, you can see I only found 3 silver coins and a single silver ring. I did find some clad ($12 worth) but again it's nothing compared to the first visit.

The first ring out was the 9k with small diamonds and a blue sapphire. My wife broke the band stuffing it on her finger.
Then I kind of got the signet, kids ring and twisty ring one after the other. All 9k.

But the best finds were the last - the buckle ring which is super crusty and still being cleaned. And the honker - 22k of buttery perfection.

Now If I had of been cherry picking I would have missed both of them. The buckle ring was literally inside a chunk of rusty iron and only sometimes made a non ferrous tone on the D2.
The 22k ring was in a hole in the rock, directly under a modern $2 coin that gave me a high tone. Our $2 coins ring up at an 89 on the D2.

Just as I was leaving, I noticed another pirate turning up with scuba gear. He was off hunting in the wrong place completely the poor sod. I know I left nothing behind for him!

Attachments

• 20220501_141111.jpg
    20220501_141111.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 595
Somehow i was expecting a bad hunt:laughing: Congrats! That 22k is a buttery fishing weight:shock: I once put a broke ring together with shoe goo. Took it to the scrapper. Guy is like "What the heck?". I'm like "Put it together so you don't have to test each individual piece":laughing:

We had a bit of rough weather here during the week, so I had to wait till the weekend to get out to the honey hole that produced the gold coin pendant and 9 gold rings the week before.

When I got down there I found to my dismay it appeared sand was already moving back in, AND it was still a bit rough which really gave me a moment to pause and consider going in given I'd already trashed a nemo. In then end I decided no guts no glory.

As I suspected, most of the area was sanded in, so I worked the few areas left but I went super slow and dug everything. None of this cherry picking nonsense.

There weren't many obvious signals left, you can see I only found 3 silver coins and a single silver ring. I did find some clad ($12 worth) but again it's nothing compared to the first visit.

The first ring out was the 9k with small diamonds and a blue sapphire. My wife broke the band stuffing it on her finger.
Then I kind of got the signet, kids ring and twisty ring one after the other. All 9k.

But the best finds were the last - the buckle ring which is super crusty and still being cleaned. And the honker - 22k of buttery perfection.

Now If I had of been cherry picking I would have missed both of them. The buckle ring was literally inside a chunk of rusty iron and only sometimes made a non ferrous tone on the D2.
The 22k ring was in a hole in the rock, directly under a modern $2 coin that gave me a high tone. Our $2 coins ring up at an 89 on the D2.

Just as I was leaving, I noticed another pirate turning up with scuba gear. He was off hunting in the wrong place completely the poor sod. I know I left nothing behind for him!

Congrats on the high and low karat gold LJS1!!! Great to go back to those spots and still find. Thanks for sharing the pics!

congrats. How does the 22k ring up on the D2? Any # variations if it's on edge or laying up against another type of metal?

I like the pix of the ring on the scale. Those are the "cha-ching" moments

congrats. How does the 22k ring up on the D2? Any # variations if it's on edge or laying up against another type of metal?

HAH!!!

So I tested this today with the D2, just an air test but it'll give you an idea.
It ranges on edge to flat on with a VDI of.... wait for it...

99 - 97!!!!

So much for cherry picking!!! Ha!

HAH!!!

So I tested this today with the D2, just an air test but it'll give you an idea.
It ranges on edge to flat on with a VDI of.... wait for it...

99 - 97!!!!

So much for cherry picking!!! Ha!

Not possible! According to.....

I think you should send me the ring for testing and safe keeping! :laughing:

Thats a killer outing! Love the chunk of!

Not possible! According to.....

I think you should send me the ring for testing and safe keeping! :laughing:

It got it at about 12 inches to. Imagine passing a 99 high tone thinking its just a can or silver, only to be missing out on a 14g 22k gold ring!

You still had a great hunt LJ congrats on all the gold... I remember you and I discussing sand moving back in... :D;)

It got it at about 12 inches to. Imagine passing a 99 high tone thinking its just a can or silver, only to be missing out on a 14g 22k gold ring!

Yes, people who do not have enough beach experience put too much trust in TID idenification. There is another popular youtuber showing his digs on the beach and MANY of his target values change, when exposed to the surface.

Somehow, he seems surprised?

My MOTTO: Nothing is the same nor comparable with salt water and black sand.

:dingding: I haven't seen a nice honker on here in a while and that one at 22K is just insane! :shock:

LongJohnSilver,

I noticed that more than once, you mentioned to not cherry pick. Why would someone cherry pick when searching for gold jewelry? I mean, it doesn't make sense. OR, do you mean that some gold hunters try to cherry pick OUT coins?

LongJohnSilver,

I noticed that more than once, you mentioned to not cherry pick. Why would someone cherry pick when searching for gold jewelry? I mean, it doesn't make sense. OR, do you mean that some gold hunters try to cherry pick OUT coins?

I think most see cherry picking as going by what the numbers or tones are, but another form of cherry picking is going by the depth of the signal. My cherry picking can consist of digging deep faints only. Skipping shallows or even signals that have a large shape/size. In my case the beaches I hunt have been closed since the 60's, very rare to find shallow gold on them unless there has been some strong winds and waves. Most good targets are deep and beyond, so faints or questionable signals are the good ones.

LongJohnSilver,

You could argue I cherry pick because I look for repeatable signals. I also look at the size and ferrous/non ferrous nature of the tones. There's large chunks of concrete where I hunt with rebar in them but I can pick them based on the size of the response area.

When I say cherry picking is nonsense, I mean not digging high signals or signals with iron in them.

Back
Top Bottom