ID my ROCK

rachelx323

so im new to the whole metal detecting thing..i've had my metal detector for about almost a year now...
anyways, i was detecting down behind my brothers house and i've been picking up rocks. they make the metal detector beep and it shows up as $1 on the screen. i grabbed a few and smashed open one.. their small rocks (about the size of a baseball) and they've got a BLUE ish tint in the middle..i can upload pix later, but if anyone has any ideas on my rocks, that'd be great... :tumble: thanks!

ALSO, if this helps any... I live in Connecticut, southeastern to be exact... also, the rocks were only a few inches deep... its at the bottom of a hill so its close to the water table too

~Rachel

rocks.jpg

Last edited:
Best I can tell from the pic is the one on the right looks to be a flint of sorts, The one in the center looks like maybe Lapis Lazuli, It might set off the detector because there may be small traces of pyrite mixed in there..The two on the left can't Say for sure. I'm just guessing, So my info might could be wrong.

Best I can tell from the pic is the one on the right looks to be a flint of sorts, The one in the center looks like maybe Lapis Lazuli, It might set off the detector because there may be small traces of pyrite mixed in there..The two on the left can't Say for sure. I'm just guessing, So my info might could be wrong.

Pyrite is not a metal and should not cause a detector to signal...

rocks

I have also found some rocks similar to what you have discovered in Connecticut! dont know..maybe they could be from outer space??? happy rock hunting!:shock:

My wifes more the rock collector, She has a huge collection of mineral rocks...I scanned them all with my detector and there were only 4 that it picked up, The only one that was blue it picked up was Magnetite..It is still possible the blue one could be Lapis Lazuli, it is know to be found in Connecticut..Good luck hope you figure them out.

I'm on the other side of the state but I've been to Custy's a few times.
What kind of detector are you finding these with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningjack
Best I can tell from the pic is the one on the right looks to be a flint of sorts,
The one in the center looks like maybe Lapis Lazuli, It might set off the
detector because there may be small traces of pyrite mixed in there..The two
on the left can't Say for sure. I'm just guessing, So my info might could be
wrong.

Originally Posted by z118

Pyrite is not a metal and should not cause a detector to signal...

The mineral pyrite, or iron pyrite, is an iron sulfide.

It has a small amount of iron. It would not normally be picked up with a metal
detector. However, I was playing with my manual ground balance when I first
got a MD with manual GB.

I was practicing with a mineralized rock in a tot lot. I had my GB way out of
wack. I got a response and kicked a piece of pyrite.

I checked it with my GB properly adjusted and it would not respond.

Just one of those strange things that happened.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

sectshun - why did you move away? its a nice town :)

Moved down to VA to be with family. I first lived off Pond Dr right off 184, then moved a mile down Tom Wheeler Rd out in the "boonies."

so my ground balance is off? i still dont get how to do that...like i said im a beginner:D

What machine are you using? Is it a model that has manual GB?

First glance at the top photo the cut away rock looks like galena, being very silvery looking. But on seeing the next photo down it's not. Not silvery enough. Mmmm, could be either volcanic, or chyst, but it doesn't look like pyrites to me.:?:
Golden

Back
Top Bottom