Run-of-the-mill Schoolyard hunt uncovers a "Large" surprise!

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
After a morning of hitting some estate and garage sales, came home, put some chicken in the crockpot and grabbed the MD and hit a school in a neighboring town. The usual clad (not much of it) and then found the headstamp. Then walking back to the vehicle through the playfield, I get a quarter signal and about 3" down dug this Large Cent. At first I thought it was another one of those gas station President tokens as I can't see upclose and I didn't have my loupe with me.

Boy was I surprised to see it was this 1833 Large Cent. My oldest coin ever MD'd. :grin: BTW can anyone tell me how old the headstamp is?

Attachments

• Scan1120, September 08, 2018.jpg
    Scan1120, September 08, 2018.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 648
  • Scan1121, September 08, 2018.jpg
    Scan1121, September 08, 2018.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
That’s a great find!!! Huge congrats!!

I can hear Tom already sick sick sick another East coast schoolyard Large cent LOL!!

Red Head is Now a Bass Prop brand. But years back they were sold by Wards. It appears that it was a paper case so that would put it back before the use of plastic which came about I the late 40's early 50's.

....I can hear Tom already sick sick sick another East coast schoolyard Large cent LOL!!

Yup. How did I miss this one ? A typical east-of-the-Mississippi tall tale: Guy picks up a detector. Goes to any "ho hum" school yard. And digs an oh-so-common LC at 3".

C'mon guys, if you're going to spin tall tales, put some time & energy into making a fanciful drama ! Eg.: "It was 9" deep on edge, surrounded by nails". Blah blah.

What's next, you just eyeball them on the street corner ? :sissyfight:

Great condition of that Matron Head LC.

I'd guess this has NOT been in the ground for nearly two hundred years but dropped in the last 20-40 years or so since it is much better condition than the newer pennies.

Yea Tom, these are so common out here they just get tossed away at parks and tot lots.

Red Head is Now a Bass Prop brand. But years back they were sold by Wards. It appears that it was a paper case so that would put it back before the use of plastic which came about I the late 40's early 50's.

I always loved the aroma of a freshly shot , paper shotgun shell !:yes:

Great going on that Large Cent GLASSHOPPER !Super Congrats ! It's been a long standing dream of mine to find one . Two people have told me they have found one in areas I have hunted . One in Golden Gate Park and the other by the San Francisco Bay shoreline at Oyster Point .I have hunted those locations many , many times .My brother in law got a real nice one at a garage sale he was going to sell me at cost but he's lost it somewhere . :(

Yup. How did I miss this one ? A typical east-of-the-Mississippi tall tale: Guy picks up a detector. Goes to any "ho hum" school yard. And digs an oh-so-common LC at 3".

C'mon guys, if you're going to spin tall tales, put some time & energy into making a fanciful drama ! Eg.: "It was 9" deep on edge, surrounded by nails". Blah blah.

What's next, you just eyeball them on the street corner ? :sissyfight:

Heck in ohio you can still get LC’s in circulation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great condition of that Matron Head LC.

I'd guess this has NOT been in the ground for nearly two hundred years but dropped in the last 20-40 years or so since it is much better condition than the newer pennies.

This school isn't very old so I imagine it was another 'kid takes Dad's coin outta collection to show it off at school then loses it' scenario. Just like my first post on this forum when I got the 1916 Barber Qtr. at my "old reliable school" 3 years ago.

This school isn't very old so I imagine it was another 'kid takes Dad's coin outta collection to show it off at school then loses it' scenario. Just like my first post on this forum when I got the 1916 Barber Qtr. at my "old reliable school" 3 years ago.

I seriously believe some of the better finds are actually cast offs from metal detector hobbyists who may be leaving the hobby for some reason or another.
Personally, I have a pot full of wheat pennies, a buffalo nickel or two and some old dimes which only have a value to me because I found them.
I well intend on taking my more interesting finds and sprinkling them back around the parks in which I found them.
The Ben Franklin Half Dollar and a 1943 Liberty Dime sure makes for a great days finds, especially at days end and the pouch is still empty.
Of course it will be a couple of years before I hang up the metal detecting gear, but when I do a greater part of my better finds will be returned to a place near where I found them, perhaps years ago.
And for the trolls looking to find where I've been detecting just be advised the honkin' big rings and priceless coins have all been sold in order to buy batteries.:lol:

AT Pro/GPP-AT/Fiskars Diggers

Back
Top Bottom