Ultra Thin Dime Sized Silver

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
Ok, this is a tester to worn coin gurus. I have a personal idea but will let y'all make guesses. It is ultra thin, details near invisable. Same exact size as a clad dime, even the reed is worn off. I lied...I think it might be a bust. The backside is even less in detail.

I didn't find it myself. I was there to see in in the dirt.

Kinda see a possible Merc now in the pic.

Guesses?

Attachments

• Mikes Bust.jpg
    Mikes Bust.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 729
Last edited:
Possible love token - or the beginnings of one perhaps? There were always smoothed off before being bent or engraved here....

Wow! I dont ever remember seeing a Merc posted that worn!...It takes a lot of pocket time/handling to wear down a dime like that...so yeah...I'm guessing something much older...

I'm agreeing with mud here. If it was a merc, that worn, you'd never see that "image". I'm thinking spanish, 1/2 Reale maybe. Even the 1/2's I've found, with good detail are very thin, several worn almost totally smooth. The bit of image you see there may be a right facing profile.

I've found similar "dimes" too worn to ID.
I haven't tried this yet, but I saw a post on one of the forums that they
put the silver testing acid on the face and let it set for a bit and it brought
out the details enough to tell what it was.
Even pulled a date!
I don't remember what forum it was on, but a search may find it.
Good luck with that one.. looks pretty slick.

Im going with a Canadian silver, there is a trick to getting an ID off worn silver, I just cant remember it :laughing: I believe it involves some kind of chemical :?:

People use Nic-a-date to get dates from Buffalo nickels. Maybe vinegar or another acid will do it on silver. Google is your friend...

Mike asked me to post this pic. Sure hope it's a Bust!

I have really old acid and have new acid coming by Friday. I'm thinking that it's a gamble using the old acid but it's really tempting.

I'm calling it an 1809 Capped Bust.

Attachments

• Bust.jpg
    Bust.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 474
  • Bust 2.jpg
    Bust 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 466
  • Bust 3.jpg
    Bust 3.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 461
Last edited:
I think I have already proven this to be a capped bust dime Using Google Earth as a comparison tool. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/549136-silver-what-2.html A view of the back of the coin no matter how slick it appears will still reveal features that I could match to maybe confirm or deny it being a capped bust. From the face alone, it is either a capped dime or if the coin is slightly smaller in diameter it could be a capped half dime. the face of the two are the same. Sorry there is not enough features left to date the coin using this method.

Last edited:
Martin and I were looking at the coin under a microscope and we are pretty sure we saw the first three digits of the date, 182. The back is super slick but we think we saw the E Pluribus Unum banner and some lettering around the edge. We are going to hit it with a little fresh silver acid and see what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpg
    IMG_3273.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 350
Martin and I were looking at the coin under a microscope and we are pretty sure we saw the first three digits of the date, 182. The back is super slick but we think we saw the E Pluribus Unum banner and some lettering around the edge. We are going to hit it with a little fresh silver acid and see what happens.

I was so confident yesterday that we were seeing the 182, and I call the last digit a 9. It looked better on the active microscope during collection.

My new silver acid came today, and I tested this Walker quarter, which had much more details in the date pre-acid. Check these results after the first procedure.

I'm excited about testing this thin silver now! Unless we were both hallucinating on the 182, the date will show. The backside will be very interesting. Fresh acid sure made a difference.

I didn't have any luck with a no-date Walker quarter though. There are limits.

Attachments

• Image105.jpg
    Image105.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 343
  • Image106.jpg
    Image106.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 345
I think I have already proven this to be a capped bust dime Using Google Earth as a comparison tool. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/549136-silver-what-2.html A view of the back of the coin no matter how slick it appears will still reveal features that I could match to maybe confirm or deny it being a capped bust. From the face alone, it is either a capped dime or if the coin is slightly smaller in diameter it could be a capped half dime. the face of the two are the same. Sorry there is not enough features left to date the coin using this method.

So maybe this is a dumb question (my apologies in advance) but how/why would you use Google Earth for something like this? What am I missing? I have the google earth app and all I can do is get aerial views...are you overlaying pictures or something?

Back
Top Bottom