Early 1900's canteen topper?

DiggnDixie

I found this near an old barn yesterday. Its made of brass and is stamped
"A. SCHRADER'S SON INC. PATENT SEPT. 11 1900 & OCT. 27 '08"

after extensive research online, I found something similar made by A. Schrader Son Inc. called a "water bag topper" but the one I found has a spout and a hole thru it as opposed to a screw-type plug for a water bag. I'm thinking it may be from a canteen but not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 81-resized.jpg
    81-resized.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 82-resized.jpg
    82-resized.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 1,188
  • 83-resized.jpg
    83-resized.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,194
Old hot water bottle maybe?

Tim

I don't think you're too far off...I have found several pictures online of "hot water bottle toppers" and "canteen toppers" that look like this and are made by A. Schrader & Son Inc. but none with a spout like the one I found. Thanks for the reply!!

The first picture had this info listed with it:

A Schraders Son Metal Screw Cap
International Patents ; Japan, Australia, Russia, Austria, France, Germany, Great Britain
March 27, 1906
Used on Matchless 1915 Canteens as a stopper

Attachments

• il_570xN.672766359_95dw.jpg
    il_570xN.672766359_95dw.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,322
  • thZJS3PGQC.jpg
    thZJS3PGQC.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,482
Looks like a hose would be put on the nipple. If so, enema bag? Eeewwwww!

8be659705ab73b179c43c95d16217e2d.jpg

Looks like it.

Cliff

You're supposed to tell me this BEFORE I put the flippin thing up to my mouth!! I think I need to go take a long cold shower now. Lol!

Thank you for the picture and everyone's input, definiely keeps a new guy in the hobby motivated to find more!!

Looks like a car part...possibly for brake lines imo

Or

Attachments

• A.-Schraders-Son-470-vandy-BE-ad-1920.jpg
    A.-Schraders-Son-470-vandy-BE-ad-1920.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,052
I suppose it could be a giant bleeder screw for a hydraulic system....good insight mr. Nectar:)
The threads are too coarse for a bleeder screw. What is the diameter of the threaded area?

It looks an awful lot like the top center item in the picture I posted.

Cliff

The threads are too coarse for a bleeder screw. What is the diameter of the threaded area?

It looks an awful lot like the top center item in the picture I posted.

Cliff

I agree with you that it is not a bleeder screw (threads too course and not strong enough to withstand the pressure of anything hydraulic).
The thread diameter is exactly 1" (one inch). Although it's somewhat of a different design than what's shown in the picture, it looks like something directly taken out of that set...I think you are very close in your educated guess and picture. Thanks for the reply!!

U.S. Patent 657570 granted to George Schrader for a "fountain-syringe or other cap" and figure-5 shows your threaded-style cap.
image.jpg

"fountain syringe n. A fluid reservoir with a tube attached to the bottom so that the flow is controlled by gravity, used for vaginal or rectal injections and for irrigating wounds."

U.S. Patent 657570 granted to George Schrader for a "fountain-syringe or other cap" and figure-5 shows your threaded-style cap.
View attachment 357905

"fountain syringe n. A fluid reservoir with a tube attached to the bottom so that the flow is controlled by gravity, used for vaginal or rectal injections and for irrigating wounds."
AKA Enema/douche bag. [emoji33]

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom