What pinpointer to choose.

Keno Nightowl

I'm new to this sport and need to get a pin pointer, was thinking of a Garrett but with all the bad reports of them failing I've read here I'm not sure what to get. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

As far as I can tell, the propointer 2 and the propointer AT haven't had the issues the original one did. I've been on the propointer 2 since the ground thawed and haven't had any issues with it as of yet. Good luck and HH!

I'm new to this sport and need to get a pin pointer, was thinking of a Garrett but with all the bad reports of them failing I've read here I'm not sure what to get. Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

I love my Garrett Carrot. (PP AT) Been in the sand, sea, rivers, and mud and hasn't missed a beat. Just rinse it off when you're done and you're good to go for next time! I like the sensitivity levels it has and that you can turn the beeps off and go by the feel of the vibration. Perfect for crowded areas.

Also a Pro Pointer user. Mine started to go on the fritz after over 220 hunts, so I bought a Garrett Carrot to replace it, which I like even better. It's the bomb-diggity! :D

I think some users had issues when the Garrett Carrot was first released, but with future releases they seem to have addressed those issues. Plus, they have excellent customer service. (I saw those first reports too, but all I've heard since then has been excellent.)

For the cost, these Garrett PP's should last longer than they do. Mine made it about two years. That little Harbor Freight job is less than one fifth the price, and gets the job done.

I have both the Garrett Carrot and the Whites TRX. I bought the Garrett because I was having so many problems with the TRX. Love the Garrett

I swear by my Carrot also. No issues at all.

I also have one of the el cheapo pinpointers which works just fine as long as you get the tip within 1/4" of the metal you're looking for. :roll:

Personally if the $15 pinpointer is what's in the budget I'd save the money for something more important.

I have had the carrot for about 1 1/2 years and have had no issues at all. I use it on land and in water. I have even thrashed it a few times on accident and it still works fine.

I swear by my Carrot also. No issues at all.

I also have one of the el cheapo pinpointers which works just fine as long as you get the tip within 1/4" of the metal you're looking for. :roll:

Personally if the $15 pinpointer is what's in the budget I'd save the money for something more important.

This is the one I have. Was thrown in free with the purchase of my detector. It helps, but certainally not worth what it would have cost separately ($40). It can be frustrating.

I originally purchased the PRO Pointer by Garrett. While it was still under the 2 year warranty it did start falsing. Sent it back to Garrett and they fixed it and had it back to me in just a few days after they received it. They even paid UPS to bring it back to me.

I got the At Pro Pointer for my Birthday in Jan. Works great and I greatly appreciate being able to change sensitibity.

This is the one I have. Was thrown in free with the purchase of my detector. It helps, but certainally not worth what it would have cost separately ($40). It can be frustrating.

I started with the same one. Obtained the same way. It's my loaner now. It barely rates being called a pin pointer but it was free. :D

If you aren't aware of how to extend the range on a pin pointer check out Aquachigger's YouTube video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHMxjAT1TI

I started with the same one. Obtained the same way. It's my loaner now. It barely rates being called a pin pointer but it was free. :D

If you aren't aware of how to extend the range on a pin pointer check out Aquachigger's YouTube video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOHMxjAT1TI

Appreciate that, I'll check it out! A Garrett Carrot is on my to buy list very soon, seems so much easier.

Back
Top Bottom