IH and a V...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Hit the park I have been to so many times in the past but for the last few hunts I am using my new older coin settings on my F70 and it is going well.
First hunt with the new settings I dug a merc.
Second hunt I scored a silver Rosie.
This morning I happend across two keepers and this park that has a reputation for being totally hunted out is coming alive for me.
Not easy to hunt here, mineralized southern soil, tons of garbage you will find in a park that goes back to the 20's plus way more iron here than you might believe pretty much because it was built on a landfill.
As an extra bonus for some stupid reason they thought it was a good idea to mix a ton of slag from the local foundry in with most of the fill dirt when they built most of these neighborhoods and parks around here in the early part of the last century.
I have talked to a couple of other guys that used to hunt while hitting curb strips and they say they just gave up hunting around here because it is impossible to find anything in all this ridiculous garbage and iron.
Hard, sure, impossible...no way.
You just gotta learn your tools well and then go the extra mile and figure out how to do it no matter what obstacles you come across.
Conquering big problems like this is actually one of the more enjoyable things about this hobby for me, thrilling when I learn something new that helps me find the good stuff.

The 1900 IH was a surprise, I was thinking silver dime or old wheat.
Yea, I know these things are supposed to come in lower than a zincoln and it does out of the ground but in this soil as you get deeper all the numbers get way high and at 6" deep that's how these things act in this hot soil.
Just getting to 6" here is a victory, that is like 10-12" in normal soil it is that bad around here.
This was a great find but my next deep one was even more of a surprise.
I get another signal again with really high numbers and again I am hoping silver dime but this one read 7" on my depth meter and that is a number I rarely see around here.
I dig down and every bit of 7" I find a dirty and very thin disc the size of a nickel.
I was hunting with 2 other guys and after we cleaned it off in a small pond none of us could tell what this thing was.
There was some well worn marks on both the front and the back but not enough to make any sense.
I scrubbed as bunch as I could around the edges and I found what looked like two numbers...19, but the rest was gone.
Ryanchappell was one of the guys with me and he started at it and guessed it was a super worn and screwed up V Nickel.
At home under magnification and comparing the few of the features that were still there to a pic of a good one I found out he was right so I pronounce this my second V I have found in my career.
The first two numbers are actually 18 and I could see the shape of Lady Liberty's neck in the correct place right above it but that is about it.
I also used a nail to scrape down through one part and it sure looks like nickel to me under all that dirt so I am satisfied.
Thin as a dime, screwed up like crazy but to find a nickel 7" deep in this garbage is saying something about the success of my new coin hunting settings.
And yes deep nickels also come in way high in this soil too because a buff and a war nickel both at 6" did the same.
Out of the ground this thing came in slightly below a regular 31 nickel at 27 because it is so worn thin.

I was getting bored with this park but now I have a new attitude and it is big so I wonder what else I can find in the future?
More to come...hopefully.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1446580534715_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    PicsArt_1446580534715_PerfectlyClear.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 295
I enjoyed the hunt. I wasn't finding anything deeper than 4-6". I found that brass belt buckle at 6" and it has a lot more metal in it than a nickel.

Digger27 did this with an F70 with a sniper coil. It was amazing he found two 100 year old targets at 7" deep, while we couldn't get any coins deeper than 4-5 inches with an E-trac and an XLT!

Detecting depth in this soil is easily half that of good soil. It would be interesting to see what a manufacturer sponsored expert could do at that site. I wonder if a Deus would help?

Digger27 did this with an F70 with a sniper coil. It was amazing he found two 100 year old targets at 7" deep, while we couldn't get any coins deeper than 4-5 inches with an E-trac and an XLT!

Detecting depth in this soil is easily half that of good soil. It would be interesting to see what a manufacturer sponsored expert could do at that site. I wonder if a Deus would help?

The Deus might shine down here in this devil dirt, some say the Racer does good around iron and in mineralized soil and it might or at least using this new technology it could be easier to deal with in this environment than some others.
I don't know anyone that uses either in the really bad stuff around here but that could change in the future.
I posted once about hunting in an iron infested site with the F70 and someone said he was positive the Racer would do better and find more.
This was without knowing that site, how much iron was actually there, how good I am with this F70 or exactly what I learned to do with it at that and several different difficult sites.
I just laughed.
There is a reason I experiment with different settings and techniques for hours on end.
That process is fun for me, and the end result is learning skills and once in awhile doing a few things that many might not believe I actually can do.
I would love to try every detector out there and see what I could end up doing with them but that is just not possible and never will be.
I just go with what I got and in my totally anal way try to get as much as possible out of them...and then go a bit further if I can.
Technology can be great, but knowledge and experience definitely counts.
I squeezed a ton out of the F2 when I used it, with this F70 as much as I have learned and achieved in the last 2 years I have barely scratched the surface, I believe...it is that amazing.

You saw the hole, Michael, how deep it was and how thin this worn nickel actually is and you understand the dirt.
Still can't quite wrap my head around how this thing with the small coil could do this in this soil but it did.
In Kansas soil, sure, but in this garbage dirt in that park with all the extra iron signals all around...that's crazy.
It was not a solid signal, very few high conductors past 4" are in this soil and they are all jumpy but I learned how to recognize possible good deeper targets when I come across them but still, finding a super thin nickel this deep is just nuts.
Just a great sign I am learning my lessons about hunting in this strange soil well.
I think I will keep on swinging and learning this F70 for a while longer because I am not close to being bored just yet.

Congrats on a pair of very nice recoveries and what sounds lick a very interesting outing. Jack

Thanks to everyone and you too, Jack.

I have seen some incredible things happen out there in the field in my time, but to get a signal on this thing and have my wits about me to even consider digging this not quite fantastic signal in this bad dirt with all the other iron signals happening around it has to be way up there.
I keep mentioning how this F70 seems to have a few jaw dropping abilities and this just proves it.
My attitude about always working to improve my skill set does have its rewards when great things like this happen.

Below is a pic to show you how thin this 1880's era nickel actually is compared to a modern Jefferson.
Still shocking to me I now have it in my collection.

Attachments

• PicsArt_1447256522018.jpg
    PicsArt_1447256522018.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 152
Back
Top Bottom