Marble Beach, an oldest, and a first (minor bucket lister!)

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
Today's track.....

Got four hours in at Marble Beach today... It was a pretty fun hunt overall, wasn't too cold, wind was kind, got dropped off so I didn't have to paddle 4 miles...

Found and old brass crucifix/medal and another aluminum catholic medal.. Marble beach has given up a ton of old religious goodies so far! I always like finding them, especially the silver ones...

Found one wheat, my oldest so far, 1909, plain (no VDB).

Best find of the day was a small bucket list item for me.. I have always wanted to find an old silver boy scouts ring, its just one of those things that it seems everyone eventually finds, and I wanted one for myself... Cool thing is, this one isn't like everyone else's.. Its a 50 year anniversary (1910-1960) ring from the annual BSA Jamboree, that in 1960, was held on Colorado Springs (mountain soundtrack song).. 56,377 attended making it the largest single jamboree in the history of BSA.... It was the Golden Jubilee and the theme was "For God And Country".. I'm pretty happy to have found it, and it should clean up real nice.. It was a little blackened when I scooped it up, and I rubbed it in the sand on my board to be able to read it... Might be worth more than some of my past gold rings if I ever were to sell it..

Here is a some info about the BSA jamborees...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Scout_jamboree_(Boy_Scouts_of_America)

Found a cool shell fossil too, the rest is junk including and earring/pendant? and a weird junker ring that is broken, it was half brass, and the other half was sort of like a tiny stretchy metal watch band.. :?:

Everything...

IMG_20150522_011501_zpsuixqpw6s.jpg

The best of...

IMG_20150522_011403_zpsus8eccxv.jpg

IMG_20150522_003559_zps7k4ywg08.jpg

IMG_20150522_010941_zpsoyeaepan.jpg

IMG_20150522_011214_zpsaqt0ivrf.jpg

IMG_20150522_011710_zpstw2c84ij.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck to everyone!!

<*)))>{

:dingding:Even though you did not find gold I'm giving you the dingding for that Scout ring. That is one hell of an interesting and probably rare find! What's funny is that I have Scouts from my Troop that went to the 100th Jamboree. Incidentally, I'll be heading for a Boy Scout camp in the Keys this long weekend for some fishing, kayaking and of course detecting. ;)

Cool ring Ice! That was the only BS jamboree I attended as a youth. Got to see President Eisenhower drive through, sitting up in the back of a big black convertible and waving to all the kids.

That shell looks like a brachiopod.

Foiled

Thanks! Thanks a lot! NOW I have to add a boyscout ring to my bucket list. GRRR!!! :laughing: Seriously that is one cool find and the 50 year anniversary type too WOW!!

Great finds!

Cool ring Ice! That was the only BS jamboree I attended as a youth. Got to see President Eisenhower drive through, sitting up in the back of a big black convertible and waving to all the kids.

That shell looks like a brachiopod.

Foiled

Dang, that pretty cool that you were there, one of 56,000+ people... Must have been pretty huge to you at the time..

A brachiopod! Thanks man!!

<*)))>{

:dingding:Even though you did not find gold I'm giving you the dingding for that Scout ring. That is one hell of an interesting and probably rare find! What's funny is that I have Scouts from my Troop that went to the 100th Jamboree. Incidentally, I'll be heading for a Boy Scout camp in the Keys this long weekend for some fishing, kayaking and of course detecting. ;)

Thanks for the :dingding:, every once in a while I'll still be happy with a hunt even though I didn't find the gold...

Good luck at camp!!

<*)))>{

Nice Boy Scout ring. I have found a few. My oldest looked like a rope and was from a 1933 jamboree.

Glad you are still finding the goods. Hope you see some yellow soon

I love yours and irons post, kinda of reminds me of some of the stuff here...always interesting...:thumbsup:

Nice Boy Scout ring. I have found a few. My oldest looked like a rope and was from a 1933 jamboree.

Glad you are still finding the goods. Hope you see some yellow soon

Thanks Scuba!

I also like all the oldies you find too man!!

Looking forward to more finds from you this summer...

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom