This is going to be a tough one...

Chad

Elite Member
My eyes are horrible, can any of you see anything on this? It is slightly larger than a barber dime. First pic is it sitting on top of the barber, so you can see the size difference. Maybe part of a shield on the back??

unk1_zpspltuw3xu.jpg

unk3_zps8dclc3ku.jpg

unk2_zps7pq0ossw.jpg

Wow...never heard that...I'll give it a shot! Can't hurt it, that's for sure :)

I scanned it, I don't think it magnified it.

Well,....I think the french vanilla creamer helped! I also rotated it a bit. . . May not grade as an AU but definitely a VF at least!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Attachments

• unk4.jpg
    unk4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 626
  • unk5.jpg
    unk5.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 616
  • unk6.jpg
    unk6.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 635
  • 1837-capped-bust-dime.jpg
    1837-capped-bust-dime.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 614
Holy cow, I'll have to remember that trick. Before you "creamed" it it looked blank to me. Dang old eyes anyhow, and squinting did not help me :lol:

Congrats!

No love for the ID?:lol: You could see the shield and the Eagle before you creamed her. Even in that condition it's a sweet find. Congrats!

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

what i see on that coin is that little fella looking up towards the sky, ha! :D
almost looks like Elvis! :shock: :laughing:

Attachments

• dime.jpg
    dime.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 636
  • dime2.JPG
    dime2.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 640
Chad, Sorry I see a smooth shield nickel in pic 1. also size is off for a dime. Is it silver or nickel?

Use a pair of calipers to measure the diameter (mm). Regardless of the worn detail, the diameter will match perfectly with the known diameter of known coin(s) (i.e. A Capped Bust dime has a diameter of 18.8 mm).

Yeah I agree with Pescadore and others...It looks to be the size of a shield nickel...is it silver?

Don't forget, Bust dimes are larger than modern dimes. 18.5mm compared to 17.9mm. A nickel is 21.2mm. The size of the coin and the size, position, and orientation of the shield on the reverse show it's a CBD. No chance it's a nickel.

Hunt Happy!
Plug Martian

Back
Top Bottom