Metal Detecting the Rain Forest

slider

Elite Member
Where we live here in the rain forest of Central America, just getting to the area I like to hunt is an adventure. First the jungle is so thick that there are areas that are almost dark , very little sunlight. Then if the jungle does not stop you, the mud holes will. I own a ton and a half commercial 4 wheel drive truck that you need chains on just to get out of the clay pots. The areas I like to hunt are the trails used by the indigenous Indians. The four main tribes are the Ngobe Bugle,Woonan, Embera and the Kuna. They have used these trails for centuries. Some of the tribes still use bow and arrow to hunt. They also file there teeth to a point as to look like a piranha type fish. They look a little scary when they just appear out of nowhere. Well so much for the history lesson. I wrote this thread because last week I dug up a silver plated spoon on one of the trails. The spoon was made by L. Barth & Co. Now how on earth did that thing get to be so deep in the jungle on this old trail ? Found it with my old Whites MXT about 5 inches deep. Thanks for looking and best of luck.

Hey thanks !........ Very interesting....Tell us more... and could you post some pictures ?...

Sounds like an interesting area, old paths have been good to me too. You never know where things will turn up, i found an silver spoon from Connecticut way out in the brush here...

Man I always wanted to see the amazon. To old now to go but your stories stir my wild side.

Any pictures of anything will be welcome.

Thanks

slider, what a great post. would love to hear more about your area. HH blev

Bonus points for a pic. of a guy with Piranha teeth :yes:

Very cool sounding! Please post pics and keep posting! The Indiana Jones in me likes this stuff :)

X2!

Slider, is that spoon old? I wonder if it may have been a trade item or even a gift to a tribal leader from decades gone by?
And as mentioned, would love to hear more about your adventures there. :yes:

X2!

Slider, is that spoon old? I wonder if it may have been a trade item or even a gift to a tribal leader from decades gone by?
And as mentioned, would love to hear more about your adventures there. :yes:

I don't know if the fork is old or not. I will get some pictures up in the next day or so. I will get some of the fork and the trail into the area . I think, I can get a picture of there teeth. Most of them don't like you to take there picture and they all have sharp machetes if you know what I mean, but I will try. Thanks for your kind words.

I too would love to see pictures of the area/the people and hear more about it.

Hi Slider, your area sounds like my area in the Philippines. They dont sharpen their teeth. Most of dont have teeth. They like having their picture taken. Be careful down their... KEN

Panama jungle

Slider you got every ones intrest ,with that last post . Would enjoy seeing some pictures of older local coins you have found there. It is turning colder here now and about done for the season.

I don't know if the fork is old or not. I will get some pictures up in the next day or so. I will get some of the fork and the trail into the area . I think, I can get a picture of there teeth. Most of them don't like you to take there picture and they all have sharp machetes if you know what I mean, but I will try. Thanks for your kind words.

That sounds like a good place for a go pro or similar cam set on time lapse and discretely mounted on a backpack.
But geez, don't risk your neck.... and everything above it!

Back
Top Bottom