Erie County considers restricting use of metal detectors

~Alan~

Forum Supporter
Erie County considers restricting use of metal detectors

You see them sweeping beaches and parks, hunting for buried treasure.
They are relic hunters with metal detectors in hand and ear phones on their
heads listening for the sweet clicking sound of discovery. Perhaps an old
coin. Maybe a ring. More often, it is an old pop top from a beer can.

Read more: http://www.buffalonews.com/city-reg...s-restricting-use-of-metal-detectors-20130921

Im sure Niagara County will soon follow. So worried about hobbyists removing metals from the ground yet they dont seem to care about the thousands of superfund sites that have been polluting this area for years and years. No wonder our tourism industry is barely existant.

:wow: Man I would freak out on someone!:mad: Turn everything over to the park office? Seriously, someone go in there and drop a dirty ol fake hand grenade on their counter and tell em you just dug it up and you are doing your duty. It does say anything found.....:lol:

What a complete joke...I cannot believe this...I am just getting into md'ing, and I live in Erie County...In fact was probably going to buy 2 md's today for my gf and I....

At dinner with my parents tonight I mentioned that we were getting into it....My Dad mentioned something about laws governing them....I didn't think much of it...I thought he was talking about something he heard on the national news at some locality, not in the county we reside in !!!

Unreal...unreal...unreal....is all I can say....I am all for keeping the parks in nice shape....Why don't they issue tickets to people who leave ruts and divots from digging ? The county could actually make money of this "big" problem then...Seems like a simple solution to me....Would the state ban driving because some people speed ? Of course not....

MD'ing is a hobby for God's sake....

Government is getting out of control....Sounds like this Schinzel is some kind of chest thumper trying to bring a law from where he used to live....I did see somewhere in the article that they seek public opinion on this....Well there better damn well be some kind of vote on this....I really can't imagine hoards of people complaining the the county about people md'ing....

You know what ? Lately my gf and I were in the market for a used car....Now we are looking for a house to rent..Does anyone realize how many people are out there in plain view in craigslist looking to scam naive people, and rip them off for cars and apartments ? Not only is that criminal but it is very annoying weeding through the scum...How about going after these thieves ? I'm sure a huge majority of the public would rather that happen rather than go after some md hobbyists...

The cl ads are an example, but I think everyone gets my drift....THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE MUCH MORE WORRIED ABOUT A LOT OF OTHER PROBLEMS INSTEAD OF METAL DETECTING !!!!!!!

The people in this country are going to revolt against the government someday....They are going to get tired of all this BS governing by our government.

Nobody likes restrictions on their hobby, whichever hobby that happens to be.
As detectorists, we are sometimes our own worst enemy. In the UK, civil
war battlefields are off limits, and rightly so.
The trouble is, they tend to get "nighthawked", which then can bring in more restrictions.
The Portable Antiquities Scheme has helped to bring some respectability
to the hobby, but there are still those who only detect for financial gain.
With no respect to the history of their finds.
The "Finders keepers" mentality is ok for modern coinage and jewelry (to
an extent), but in my mind, items which add to the history of the land
should be declared.

At the end of the day, detectorists, archaeologists and historians are on the same side.

I got in an argument with a cop for giving me a seat belt ticket when I first moved to Wa. It wasn't a law in Wy so I never wore it. I asked him why there was a seat belt law and he puffed up his chest and said I could get killed and they are trying to protect me. I then told him about the people floating to the ground behind him a few miles over that had just thrown themselves out of an airplane. "What would happen if their chute didn't open?" He stammered a few times, as he handed me the book. I signed it, handed it back and said "Yeah, that's what I thought, you got work to go do right?" :laughing: They only come up with these laws if they see a chance to make money at it.

This is how the laws in Az. started about our ATV's .First we needed a permit, then we had to license it just like my road bike, then because it was licensed I had to have Insurance. Keep in mind this ATV was registered ,licensed, and .insured just like my car and road bike. All where allowed to drive on Forrest roads, except the ATV, now I needed a permit to ride it on forrest roads????? What!!! It never stops!!! My grandfather told me years ago " You can take everything a man owns as long as you take it a little bit at a time". Rules, rules and more rules. I was at a park in Palm Springs a few years ago and at the entrence there was a sign with a list of 37 rules on things you could not do, at the end of the list it said. " WElCOME AND HAVE FUN" Sorry but I just had to vent. slider...
Sorry about the spelling but I am so mad about rules I just sent it and did not reread.

Back
Top Bottom