Is this a Copper Indian Knife?

unluckylester

Hi everybody,
I am wondering if there are any experts on indian artifacts here? Or culture copper? I found this on my land up north. It rang up as an 11-47 on the ctx. Is this what i think it is?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les

Attachments

• Indianknife-2.jpg
    Indianknife-2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1,025
  • Indianknife-1.jpg
    Indianknife-1.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 985
It doesnt look like its indian to me, but i could be wrong. It does look like it is 1800 or earlier though :)

Just might be then!!

There are a lot of copper culture finds in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan..

<*)))>{

yeah. It's pretty cool. There isn't much information on rarity, value, and how to get it authenticated. Does anyone have any information on how to get it authenticated?
Les

Go to a mueseum, ask to talk with someone at the lab. As long as you had permission to dig on the property you found it on, they cant legally take it from you.

Hi everybody,
I am wondering if there are any experts on indian artifacts here? Or culture copper? I found this on my land up north. It rang up as an 11-47 on the ctx. Is this what i think it is?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Les

If it is of copper, then the Indians did not make it, I do not think. They made most of their tools out of stones, bones, and wood. They may have traded for it, or it is from an older time. Later after the white man can to the Americas, then you would have things of harder metals. Yes, they had things of gold, and some silver. Not of regular weapons, for ceremonials only. Check it out.:?:

If it is of copper, then the Indians did not make it, I do not think. They made most of their tools out of stones, bones, and wood. They may have traded for it, or it is from an older time. Later after the white man can to the Americas, then you would have things of harder metals. Yes, they had things of gold, and some silver. Not of regular weapons, for ceremonials only. Check it out.:?:

You sir are mistaken!
Look up Copper Culture and you will see that Native Americans made spear points, knives, etc up until 3200 years ago.
Then they made cermonial items thereafter:p

If it is of copper, then the Indians did not make it, I do not think. Check it out.:?:

Copper culture, is older than a lot of stone tools..

The natives in the northern great lakes region were using metal/copper long before any Europeans showed up in North America...

Check it out..

<*)))>{

What a shame!

It really is a terrible thing that the history of these people don't get taught in school or are known on a national level. Hell, half the people in Wisconsin don't know about the copper culture or the copper complex. I heard of it, but I really didn't know about it until I found this knife These people were probably the first miners of North America.

Awesome spear, Matmit. I can't make it to Milwaukee. There's also a place closer to me that has a museum too. Make sure you relay the information back to us. LINK BELOW

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wioconto/CopperCultureCemetery.htm

Les

Native Americans were using copper as the pyramids were being built and stonehenge , we have had a few items posted by members but they are always a great find !

Nice, historic find! Yep - native Americans were making copper tools in the upper Great Lakes region ages ago! Lots of copper deposits in that region. Nice links above.

Back
Top Bottom