Lead Whatsit

FoiledAgain

Elite Member
I think I know what it is. What are your guesses?

Handmade of lead and about as thick as a penny.

-Foiled

Attachments

• Lead.jpg
    Lead.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 577
seal???

My buddy found something similar to this earlier in the year. His had a date of 1854. Turned out to be a lead seal for bales of tobacco or cotton. You may want to look at it at that angle.

This is a guess but I'd say home-made bullroarer. Many of you have probably played with something similar... a button with two holes, a string run through the holes and made into a single loop. You wind the thing by flipping it round and round, with the button in the center, and then play it by alternatively pulling on the strings, and leting them spin out, then back in, then out, in.... WHIRRRRR WHIRRRRR WHIRRRRR... the scalloped edges might make the sound louder.

The whirring sound they make is fun. I remember Mama seeing one I had made with a HUGE button. "What is that thing?" she asked "An orthopedic yo-yo?" LOL The description fit exactly! 'Orthopedic yo-yo" has been a family joke ever since.

SageGrouse

SageGrouse, I think you nailed it. When I was a kid we also made them from large buttons and we called them whirlygigs. I tried this one out and the weight makes it spin well, though it doesn't produce much of a buzz. The teeth probably produced more noise if they were originally splayed.

-Foiled

Back
Top Bottom