Scoops, did I ask santa for the right one??

Ice Scratcher

Elite Member
Alright,

I am looking for one scoop that should last and never need a thing...

Looking to get into some shallow freshwater swiming holes and some freshwater sandy beeaches.... Erie and inland MI. lakes with my AT Pro..
Maybe 10 hunts per year, if I'm lucky...

With no waves or anything and not wanting to tear up the bottom so much I'm thinking a 5" should be ok?

Price/weight/durability/ ??

RTG 5" MONSTER STAINLESS STEEL WATER SCOOP with grab handle..(1/2 inch holes)

http://www.rtgscoops.com/rtgroyalscoops.html

I am thinking that is the one for me, I have already sent the Santas the specs lol....

Any reasons to change my list to the Santas??

Thanks all!!

<*)))>{

I use the 6" aluminum with stainless lip, saves weight, and digs wider hole than my old 5". Long as you can handle the weight, stainless should be fine, larger bucket diameter the better though.

Thanks, they say it weighs 4 3/4 lb, with stainless, seems like it might be a little heavy but very strong, I'm hoping... I think my pinpointing skills are alright, I have been finding things in the side of my hole much less with the ATP..

<*)))>{

m h o

5" dia. is tooooo small
but
i did try that size once.
you pay the freight and 85 bucks and you can get this one in a few days.
i added orange hose for better gripping

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 646
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 647
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 652
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 652
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 662
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 655
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 654
Hey Max,

That is an entertaining offer, would you have a ballpark on the shipping to Detroit, say?

What size are those holes, and is that the same as the RTG mentioned above?

BTW... I love the videos, thanks for sharing, I like the boats and all! Of the Land of Nada, gotta love it!

<*)))>{

The 5 inch is very small in diameter and you will have to be excellent in pinpointing. That can be hard to do in rough water conditions when the scoop is moving around. I have moved up to 8 inch wide scoops for that reason. Some that are on the market now with wider mouths are
TRex, http://golddiggermetaldetectors.com/trex_sandscoop.php

Stavr Scoops, http://stavrscoop.com/en/8-sand-scoop?n=10

ProScoops if he started making them again. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/REVC.html

Sunspot Scoops, http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html

A 5 inch is fine for dry sand hunting, but very time consuming in shallow water hunting in my opinion.

I think stainless is the way to go, not so much chance of scoop bends. 5" is ok, but if you find yourself in the water, I'd go wider. Even if it's not rough water, if you find yourself in a situation where you can't see your coil, the wider will help a lot. Targets right on the side of a hole will end up in the scoop instead.

Hey thanks for all the comments guys..

As far as the 1/2" vs 5/8 inch holes.. why are you able to specify the two options so close in size? There must be some reason?

<*)))>{

Hey thanks for all the comments guys..

As far as the 1/2" vs 5/8 inch holes.. why are you able to specify the two options so close in size? There must be some reason?

<*)))>{
The smaller holes work well on my beaches. The larger holes are the biggest allowable to keep coins from going through them. If you are going to buy one scoop that is magic, get the StavR Monstrik 10 with 32mm pipe. $170 includes shipping + $22 WU fees. Add your own handle. Totals about the same as the Sunspots but to me the Monstrik is so much better. You have to use it to believe it and I have tried them both. It will work dry, wet, shells, rocks and in the water with little current. Another reason to buy one is resale value. You can sell it some day for most of what you paid,,,, but you won't sell it. :yes: Most guys settle with other scoops because it takes 2 weeks for it to ship. Good things are worth waiting for. To add, it is 8" wide and lighter than any scoops of comparable width.

The only and next size hole you could go with, is only, 1/8" different? Maybe it is for coins other than USA sizes?

<*)))>{
Some beaches have sand that does not drain well. The larger holes help. When you think about lots of holes 1/8 larger it adds up. Smaller holes are better for small targets. Earrings and small pendants.

Thanks Imalooking2, makes sense..

I think you need to ask Santa for more than 12 hunts a year,,:laughing:

Lol, I get out a ton more than that, just 12 freshwater hunts in the shallow water...

The rest of the time is in the dirt or on the ice!

<*)))>{

Good offer from Max. Id make the investment ONCE and go with a larger scoop more suited to where you are hunting. Sounds like a hard hard pan. My RTG.... which is an 8" was difficult to get a foot on and rolled badly with the flat mouth. Also, it seemed some targets especially floater would be pushed out as the scoop filled up. In your area id put out the money for a larger scoop like the Sun Spot or Stavr. The other two mentioned are great scoops and i have the ProScoop which ive modified, but they do have 1/4 holes.... good for sand bottom.

Dew

The only and next size hole you could go with, is only, 1/8" different? Maybe it is for coins other than USA sizes?

<*)))>{

The difference in size of the holes are not that important as is how close they are together and how many holes in the scoop for draining. However the larger the holes the more smaller targets will fall through. I am currently using the ProScoop with 1/4 inch inch holes and it drains twice as fast as my scoop with the 1/2 inch holes.

Back
Top Bottom