It Will Never Get Better Than This, The Memorial Day Reburial of the 19 Union Soldiers I found Relic Hunting...And With Morgan Freeman Too! Just added

MT1862

I just found this old VHS Tape a few days ago...I forgot it even existed.

On Memorial Day, 1989, the 19 African-American Soldiers that I discovered on Folly Beach, S.C. two years earlier, were laid to rest at the Beaufort National Cemetery in Beaufort S.C. It is a miracle that this tape exists, and that I do as well. In 1989, I was diagnosed with a life threatening illness. I had just endured three major surgeries in the two months before the re-burial. On the day of the re-burial, I checked myself out of the Duke Medical University, and attended this event with my family. My parents drove me to Beaufort, and to experience the event of a lifetime. My father had borrowed a VHS Video Camera, and he with no previous experience in using one, recorded this rare recording of one of the most historic moments in the history of our Country.
Thousands attended this, including then Governor of Massachusetts Michael Dukakis, and the cast from the movie "Glory." The movie was just wrapping up filming in the area, and cast member Morgan Freeman, Producer Freddie Fields, along with the rest of the cast were in attendance.
Personally, for me, it was like living a dream. The absolute brilliance of the Military bearing of this event was awe inspiring. I was overwhelmed by the hundreds of people, who wanted to thank me and shake my hand, and I even received my fare share of hugs and kisses of gratitude that day. All for doing what I love and still love to this day, history.
Now, here in the summer of 2012, you can see what took place those twenty-three years ago. A glimpse into a day, that was as historic, as it was beautiful. The pageantry along with the muffled drum beats, the fife playing, the twenty-one gun salute, and the playing of Taps for men who so long ago gave the last full measure.
For me, that day is a part of me that will never die. And in the time since this day of days, my Mother and Father who were with me on this special day, are too buried in this same Cemetery near where the 55Th Massachusetts were lain to rest.
They are in excellent company there. Under the Spanish moss, oaks and palmettos. Where heroes spend eternity.

I dedicate this film to my new Grand Child, Mora. May she one day see this, and be reminded of not only what he grandfather contributed to history, but to also understand the richness of the history of her Country, that is also a part of her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWNgNEzz1JM&feature=plcp

I couldnt even imagine how you feel and felt that day.What an honor that must have been and the feeling of giving those men an honorable burial.And this ties you in to the history itself.Amazing is the understatement of the century.:shock::cheers3:

I don't know what to say. Thank you for the service to our country and honoring our forgotten soldiers.

Thank you all for the kind words!

This was a once in a lifetime day for me. And just knowing that my parents are there too, gives me great comfort, that they are not alone.

I'm glad that I could share this with those who understand how important our role is in saving our Countries past.

Awesome! Enjoyed it! I'm a history buff and enjoy reading and watching anything concerning the Civil War! Thanks for sharing this magnificent video!

I just watched the movie Glory the other day on AMC. I just happened to stumble upon you post and watched the video. My hats off to you for the find! I live just minutes from the cemetery in Beaufort, and will be making a visit there.

I was just there Saturday...

I just watched the movie Glory the other day on AMC. I just happened to stumble upon you post and watched the video. My hats off to you for the find! I live just minutes from the cemetery in Beaufort, and will be making a visit there.

Here is a pic of the grave site of the 55th...where heroes rest in peace.

Attachments

• 7-7-12 015.jpg
    7-7-12 015.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 3,209
  • 7-7-12 010.jpg
    7-7-12 010.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 3,197
  • 7-7-12 009.jpg
    7-7-12 009.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 3,193
  • 7-7-12 011.jpg
    7-7-12 011.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 3,212
finding and returning class rings in one thing but returning the souls of people who would have been left forgotten, thats a true find

Wow, that is truely amazing. I hope to experience something similar one day with finding a WWII soldier.

Thanks for all of the great replies!!

They were heartfelt, and I truely am amazed how many of you care.

It was a pure luck of a find, that still resonates in my life everyday.

Thank You!
REB

Back
Top Bottom