Wrongly ousted from public park becomes a win for the hobby!

LiveJazz70

Long story short (as possible), I went to a park this morning that I've hunted for some time now, Only to get ousted by the director of parks and recreation!

He approached me (he didn't tell me who it was) and this is how the conversation went:

Director: "Metal detecting isn't allowed here."
Me: "Why?"
Director: "It leaves hole."
Me: "I've dug 30 to 40 holes in this 10 foot square area. Show me any hole!"
Director: "Well, it kills the grass.:
Me: "Actually, it aerates the ground and allows for healthier grass."
Director: "Well, it leaves yellow spots on the ground."
Me: "Ok, I've done this for several years now and it does nothing of the kind. In fact, look at this (Showing him two handfuls of pull tabs and screw tops, and tossing them into the garbage next to me.) I'm actually cleaning up the ground and eliminating possible liabilities if one of these end up in someones foot. So unless you have something in black and white stating I can't metal detect here then I'll continue to do so.
Director: "It's an County Code."
Me: "I checked the local and county codes and ordinances and nothing was mentioned."
Director: "I'll be right back."

5 Minutes later the director brings me the list of county codes. Sure enough, Chapter 12 section 12.1-22 states no metal detecting in Isle of Wight county public parks.

Me: "Why is it that several parks and recreation employees and Sheriffs have said Hi, Any luck? and things of the sorts?
Director: "Sheriffs don't know all the codes."
Me: "Ok, fine. I'll be on my way"

Little did he know, I wasn't going to accept his answer. I came home and checked the ordinances again.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=14449

I know someone here is going to read the part on the website that states:
This Code of Ordinances and/or any other documents that appear on this site may not reflect the most current legislation adopted by the Municipality.

I called and verified from the court house that it was recently updated.

There is no Chapter 12 Section 12.1-22. The sections only goes to 20! The County Courthouse verified this. They said to contact Mark Ferlow. Wait! That's the Director! I called him and kindly reminded him of our earlier meeting and pointed this dependency out to him. He didn't know what to say. But I did. "What is the date on the papers you showed me?" He looked and said "Over 2 years old." I asked if its possible that the ordinances has been repealed? He said he would call the County Attorney and get back with me.

OOH YES! As I was typing this the Director called and apologized! He stated that what he had was a draft and 12.1-22 was dropped when the section went into effect.

He also went on to state that he appreciated the fact that he couldn't find any of the plugs I dug, and cleaning up the trash is a good thing.

A WIN FOR THE HOBBY!!! :clapping:

Moral of the story- DO YOUR RESEARCH AND DON'T BE AFRAID TO QUESTION!

Congratulations! Goes to show that they (authority) "assume" just as much as they say we do when it comes to ordinances. I have decided to start carrying a copy of city ordinances for the different parks I go to, just for that reason. HH!

Excellent show! Well done that man! I feel like a Crim every time I go out, Its nice to hear a story like this, gives me confidence and self esteem,and shows the importance of research.

Where's the "like" button?

:laughing:

Seriously though, I love sticking it to the man. Hilarious you called him out on showing you what ended up being a draft section that was never even put into code... :roll:

My sister lives in Isle of Wight county... I detected her property and other than old shot shells and loads of old cans and jar lids, I didn't end up with much :no:

Great job! Staying calm, getting the facts, and following through prevails. Of course it's nice when the other party is not a complete jerk too! Sounds like the parks director was a reasonable person. :D

Very nice and good for you. Now that it was brought to his attention that it was removed from the laws, do you think he might rally to get it back on? I'd hunt those parks long and hard now just in case he tries to change it.

Very nice and good for you. Now that it was brought to his attention that it was removed from the laws, do you think he might rally to get it back on? I'd hunt those parks long and hard now just in case he tries to change it.

The county code was never even instated. It only made it to a draft and was removed before the rest of section 12 was finalized. I doubt this guy will try to push for a metal detection restriction. The only thing he asked was I didn't metal detect the soccer fields while soccer was in season. This park is HUGE so I didn't have a problem with agreeing with that. Although, I pride myself in replacing plugs to where no one knows I've ever been there, I can understand his concern of someone rolling an ankle.

Thank you all for your support and comments! we really do need a like button here! :waytogo:

I get nothing but good praises when at my local parks in fact i was invited to do two private houses the town owns now thats a good thing! hoorah for the good mders out here !

Like Like Like.

Awesome!! Most stories on here say they leave the moment someone tells them no, and I don't understand that. You questioned, yet stay respectful. That is exactly how I hope to do it if I am ever approached.

awesome job good for you to stand up for the hobby:wincup: and I love that he actually stuck to his word and called you to say sorry for his mistake most people wouldn't do that. :surrender:

Great job! Staying calm, getting the facts, and following through prevails. Of course it's nice when the other party is not a complete jerk too! Sounds like the parks director was a reasonable person. :D

I like that too that he was reasonable about this. Sometimes people get real pissy when proven wrong. But he seemed to take the high road about this. I have to say congrats to him for being reasonable along with congrats to you too for doing the right thing, the right way!! :yes:

Back
Top Bottom