3 1/2 pages of newbies so far just today!

we were ALL newbies once

I wonder what the percentage is of newbies that try MDing a few times, don't really find much & say hell with it....

Actually, it was one user, bumping a lot of the new members into posts. Thought it was someone new, and wanting those 100 posts, to start selling. He joined in 2010, hadn't posted since June of last year, guess he had to catch up with the new rules...

Actually, it was one user, bumping a lot of the new members into posts. Thought it was someone new, and wanting those 100 posts, to start selling. He joined in 2010, hadn't posted since June of last year, guess he had to catch up with the new rules...

Wow!
One way to get your post count up!

The mods look for that, nowadays, however.

I was posting a lot of "hello's" to get my post count up

so what?

now I don't look like a newbie in posts

...and I'm looking to buy some items, so I'm good to go there as well

Hobbies

Just like any other hobby the 80/20 rule applies. Only 20% continue after one year or less. I also shoot trap and have been shooting for 36 years. I must have seen several thousand newbies start out with a bang and unlimited enthusiasm. They hang in for a few months then stop or maybe come back occasionally. Then I never see them again. It's human nature to try new things then quickly loose interest if one is not successful.

Just like any other hobby the 80/20 rule applies. Only 20% continue after one year or less. I also shoot trap and have been shooting for 36 years. I must have seen several thousand newbies start out with a bang and unlimited enthusiasm. They hang in for a few months then stop or maybe come back occasionally. Then I never see them again. It's human nature to try new things then quickly loose interest if one is not successful.

Guess I'm the 20%:D
I have only been detecting for about one year now...just upgraded my MD, but as I find myself always learning something new...I guess the term newbie will always refer to me!:lol:

It's human nature to try new things then quickly loose interest if one is not successful.

True that. Also, not every hobby appeals to every person. They might like the way it looks on the surface, but quickly lose interest once they see what's really involved. I'm still a newb, but I can tell already that if you're not a patient person, you'll probably lose interest quicklyh at MD'ing. Fortunately, I'm patient enough to trudge around in the elements for hours with expensive equipment with no assurance of a payoff at all. ....oh wait, maybe I'm not patient at all, but just stupid enough.:wow:

Same goes for fishing, hunting, & hiking somewhat. They're long-haul activities that not everybody is cut out for. I've tried to get others hooked on some of my hobbies, but when it came down to it, not everybody liked my hobbies. I'm mature enough now to be OK w/that.

Oh well, the psychologist in me is stepping out now to hunt.

I was posting a lot of "hello's" to get my post count up

so what?

now I don't look like a newbie in posts

...and I'm looking to buy some items, so I'm good to go there as well

Well, the rules are 30 days and 100 significant posts.
There have been threads about this and it was mentioned just saying hello was not going to be deemed significant.

If you do have an ad and the mods leave it up, great, if it is taken down, that is probably going to be the reason.

I believe anybody is allowed to buy no matter what the post count is.
I might be mistaken on that but I think that's right.

I'll jump on your "welcome wagon" too if'n you don't mind Digger27. I'm not good at welcoming the new folks, so I'll just throw-out a blanket welcome ;)

I think a certain percentage are under the assumption they will get a cheap detector and cash-in on the current price of precious metals. I think many will be sadly disappointed :laughing:

That said, I hope they all buy Tesoros and meet the requirements to post here in the Classifieds :yes:

Guess I'm the 20%:D
I have only been detecting for about one year now...just upgraded my MD, but as I find myself always learning something new...I guess the term newbie will always refer to me!:lol:

Pretty much the same for me. Bought a BH Quick Draw II about a year ago, just got a Tesoro Deleon a little over a week ago, and still no silver!

Well, the rules are 30 days and 100 significant posts.
There have been threads about this and it was mentioned just saying hello was not going to be deemed significant.

If you do have an ad and the mods leave it up, great, if it is taken down, that is probably going to be the reason.

I believe anybody is allowed to buy no matter what the post count is.
I might be mistaken on that but I think that's right.

You are almost 100% correct Digger.;) The 30/100 Rule is for Sell-Buy-Trade.
And the key word in your post is SIGNIFICANT! It is not very hard to post a nice comment on somebody's find or talk about your own hunt.

influx

One of the other forums are chasing away members in droves, because you cant post an honest slightly negative opinion on a detector or product their sponsors sell. You cant even mention the word NEL. ( coils ).

One of the other forums are chasing away members in droves, because you cant post an honest slightly negative opinion on a detector or product their sponsors sell. You cant even mention the word NEL. ( coils ).

I got kicked off of Findmall for a suggestion I made to make that place better.
This was a private message in answer to one of the mods.

This place does not look at your PM's, and the rules are fair and easy to live with.
My opinion, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom