Button Backmark

Azmodeus

Diggin In Illinois
Forum Supporter
Field find from an 1840s-1880's ghost town area. I know it's a long shot since it's so toasty but figured maybe someone with sharper eyes can read it or someone with photoshop skills can enhance it.
I can make out an eagle on top and ribbon ends but can't make out the writing inside the ribbon. Definitely looks like a two-piece civil war era button but I've never seen a backmark with an eagle let alone a right-facing eagle so possibly civilian or maybe British.
I think the US Navy in the civil war through WW1 era also used a right-facing eagle as well but never on the backmark itself. No clue.

Attachments

• Button9.jpg
    Button9.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 135
  • button8.jpg
    button8.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 119
There are military buttons with rear eagles. But there's also a couple 1800s companies who used the eagle to just be patriotic (I have a few flat buttons with it). If I can find a link I will. But cool find either way!

The text says Benedict & Burnham.

AH! Thank you. That helped the search. Assuming it wasn't British I typed in that name and Naval Button and this one popped up that is a match in the civil war books.
May not be the exact one but the only one I could find with the eagle on the rear that is a 2 piece with that name. I wish the front wasn't so toasted so I could see some detail.

Attachments

• button7.jpg
    button7.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 104
Well there's another in the book made for the confederates. I guess they supplied both sides. Going to have to buy a digital usb microscope and see any microscopic detail that's left on the front..LOL

Attachments

• confederate1.jpg
    confederate1.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 107
Back
Top Bottom