Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Myers Depot Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Research and Getting Permission

Old 10-07-2018, 10:53 AM

I have a hard enough time locating stuff in the daylight, I'm not sure that I would find anything in the dark.

Old 10-24-2018, 03:16 PM

There are busy bodies everywhere. I was in a Corps of Engineers campground a few years back and my brother had just pulled up to pick my sons and I up to go somewhere. My brother's tires were just off the road in the grass so other cars had more room. This old dude pulls up and starts berating us for having the car parked on the grass and that we were going to be ticketed, towed, etc. I have very little patience for that type of behavior, but I had my sons with me and didn't allow myself to just tell him to get bent (which was my initial thoughts). Instead, I calmly asked him if he worked for the Corps. He kept jabbering and didn't answer the question so I asked him again if he worked for the Corps of Engineers. He then started hem hawing about Park Rangers etc. and asked again do you work here. He never answered, kept up his blathering for a few minutes until he finally realized that I had just went on about my business and was completely ignoring him. It completely took the wind out of his sails and the old gasbag got in his car and drove away. He may have been intending to go look for a Park Ranger, but since we were only there for a minute and literally followed his car to the exit, I am sure it completely ruined his day,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Ls6CD3s4w

Old 10-25-2018, 04:25 AM

It's not true in all areas , but more often than not that ROW (right of way) strip is not the homeowner's property. But some folks don't know that or choose not to see it that away.

That's why when I did those strips pretty heavy for a couple years it was only in front of vacant houses, closed businesses, etc. And only the first two or three hours after sunrise on weekends.

The most eventful experience I had was the guy who came out of his house gun in hand. Apparently he had looked out his window just as I was going down to make a retrieval...in the strip area parallel to his truck. It wasn't as scary as it sounds, the guy didn't point the gun at me. When I told him what I was doing and he could see my metal detector he just said oh I saw you duck down and I thought you were messing with my truck, then he turned around and walked back inside.

I think I minimized negative encounters by doing the strips when and where I did. You guys doing them in front of occupied houses, especially at night, be extra careful!

Old 10-25-2018, 08:10 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by RBachman View post
What an @#$ Wipe. Here's a great option when they threaten to call the cops. Its worked for me.

Just say something like:

"Please do call the police, if you don't I will. You threatened me, you are detaining me against my will, violating my civil rights, impeding my livelihood and illegally attempting to force me off public property. And now you're attempting to file a false police report, also illegal. I can sure use the money and my attorney can use the work.

It works. Of course, you have to be in the right and if the police do show up, the hot head is going to make himself look unstable while you act calm, professional, etc. And don't leave a bag of burning dog !!!! on his porch. It's much better to sling it against his car door handles. LOL
Well put sir!

☆Gold-1~V's-3~Buff-9☆

Old 10-25-2018, 09:30 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by MytBrednec View post
There are busy bodies everywhere. I was in a Corps of Engineers campground a few years back and my brother had just pulled up to pick my sons and I up to go somewhere. My brother's tires were just off the road in the grass so other cars had more room. This old dude pulls up and starts berating us for having the car parked on the grass and that we were going to be ticketed, towed, etc. I have very little patience for that type of behavior, but I had my sons with me and didn't allow myself to just tell him to get bent (which was my initial thoughts). Instead, I calmly asked him if he worked for the Corps. He kept jabbering and didn't answer the question so I asked him again if he worked for the Corps of Engineers. He then started hem hawing about Park Rangers etc. and asked again do you work here. He never answered, kept up his blathering for a few minutes until he finally realized that I had just went on about my business and was completely ignoring him. It completely took the wind out of his sails and the old gasbag got in his car and drove away. He may have been intending to go look for a Park Ranger, but since we were only there for a minute and literally followed his car to the exit, I am sure it completely ruined his day,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Ls6CD3s4w
LOL, sounds all too familiar. I spent several winters in COE Campgrounds, and know the drill. Sounds like it may have been a Campground Host. There was one here who would innocently mill around when a non-camper would come in to use the restroom (which they're actually not supposed to), and would jot down tag numbers We called him Barney Fife.

You can have 2 tires on the grass, but they have to be the same axle, either fronts or rears, no left/right pairs. Makes a lot of sense huh?

I've posted before, warning others about attempting to detect on COE property. Prohibited, except beaches, and that's via a (free) Permit.

Squad Leader: Team Cupcake