City council meeting.. June 9th

"The cop said I could detect but not dig" Let's keep in mind here we have an authority's position. To detect there you will need a different authority position. That is what the OP is after. If the OP would have been told they had to leave because someone complained that would be a different situation.:grin:

My comment got removed, little sarcastic, but completely on topic, and I get accused of hijacking the thread... Must be a California thing.

Anyhow, wouldn't press for a permit system, but maybe some clarification of tools, and hole size. Permits don't have to be fee based either. We have some here that are free, they just want you to come in, get informed, sometimes only allow on certain days, like burning trash piles. Just stuff they basically don't have a huge problem with, but some people... Like yard sales, usually people do them on a weekend, once or twice a year. Other people, it's 24/7, never take the tables down, just pull stuff out of the rain, personal flea markets...

We have had enough of this constant bickering... We have deleted all the posts having nothing to do with the OPers questions.

Last edited:
Tomorrow is the meeting.
Will post here about the outcome.
I have learned that one of the city council members is a MD'r and lives just across the street from the park where I got tossed... Hmmm.
Also turns out I bought a car from one of the council members. A REALLY nice guy so there is HOPE for my plight....
Interesting what you can find out if you ask the right questions....:yes:
Thanks to everyone who posted.

Tomorrow is the meeting.
Will post here about the outcome.
I have learned that one of the city council members is a MD'r and lives just across the street from the park where I got tossed... Hmmm.
Also turns out I bought a car from one of the council members. A REALLY nice guy so there is HOPE for my plight....
Interesting what you can find out if you ask the right questions....:yes:
Thanks to everyone who posted.

Yeah, you'd be surprised at how many of the council members you've met in the past, but of course I've only lived in small towns. City council is a side job, most are business owners in your community. You should find that they are fair and reasonable people. Unless you get a room full of angry parents, concerned about the sports field or something, you really should get much opposition. Hope you bring some printed photos to represent the hobby.

I have a clear plastic jug of trash I've removed from public areas as a show and tell for the uneducated. It really helps drive the point home about being part of the solution in public parks, rather than part of the problem.

I certainly hope all goes well at the city council meeting.

Papa

Tony,
Some of us are following your pursuit on this thread with great interest. I know you sought out input and received some advice...some good and some not, and some from those who know everything and must share it with everyone:rofl: . I'll just add this to the mix of input:

"Nobody can give you wiser advice than yourself". ~Cicero

Good luck at the meeting!

Hello Group,
Just got back from the city council meeting in Gilespie Illinois..
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
All the city council members agreed that what happened was wrong and that I had full permission to metal detect in any city park within the city limits,
Including Gilespie lake!!!!
Sooo :woohoo: :kingdances: :wine2:

Hello Group,
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!
All the city council members agreed that what happened was wrong and that I had full permission to metal detect in any city park within the city limits,

Great News indeed. Great job.:grin:

Hello Group,
GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!

Nice going. thanx for the update. Someone griping with "you can't do that" didn't mean that afterall !

Whoo hoo!!! Congratulations!! You should be so proud of what you did! :cheer::woohoo::thumbsup::extrahappy:

Nice job. What did you say to them?

Hello Johnmusk,
As I entered the meeting... A man approached me and asked if I was the metal detecting guy? Then added he did not call the cops and that he saw last Sunday when the cop was at the park talking to me.
This man turned out to be one of the aldermen and the man who takes care of the park and that he had seen me there many times before and had no problem with me as he had checked out some of the areas I searched and had seen me pick up a pile of trash one day and put it in the plastic dumpsters.

When it was my turn I introduced myself, addressed the city council and explained that I was a metal detector hobbyist and what happened last Sunday.

I showed the council the list of MD rules and the big piece of lead that I had found that day. They all agreed that as there were no laws against MD that I was free to MD in city parks. When I asked for written permission. 2 cops leaned forward and said I would not have any more problems.

The city attorney said that as long as I did not destruct city property it was OK.
A council member said something about a back-hoe and I showed my digger and they all laughed and wished me good luck in my efforts...

Those guys ON cable TV have to go!!!!!:yes:

That's a nice story. If you find anything historical I would try and give it to them, to let them know they made the right decision. You might get some new leads too.

Cheers..

:cheers:

And...

:urock:

Big congrats, and thanks for taking the time to stand up for us and U.S..

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom