Research gold mine, Arcadia Publishing

LordOfTheZincs

Elite Member
I went on a history walk tour of an area of my town called "Sunshine Alley" and met a new friend there right off the bat that has an MD an wants to hunt! :hi5: All during this walk they kept showing us pics. from a book and I had to have it! Way informative for MDing and learning about our local history in the process. Along the way Dave asked if I had heard of a certain little town that was the main city hub before our town sprung up. Basically our town left the old one to be a small community of houses and a beautiful bay, lost but not totally forgotten in the 1870's. I got home that day and was checking this out on historic aerials cause I had never heard of the place before. Found it marked in big black letters on a topo map but on satellite it just looked like a bunch of houses. When I zoomed in I realized that I had been there before (the big house/big property, out buildings etc.) and rescued their truck from being towed to our shop, took it and put a new starter in it. This was all when I moved to the island and over a year before I even started MDing. Then I realized that their boat shop was actually an old pole building over the water and I knew I had to get out there! The people were super cool and even pointed out one of the pics in the book was where we were standing and I almost dropped, it was awesome! Come to find out the pole building was the general store in the 1800's. :D He said he went over it before but come out any time, I think it was awhile ago when he did it. Doesn't matter anyway cause I learned my lesson before about predicting the goods. I want to go see if there is any and have a great hunt at a beautiful place. Their property WAS the city LOL store, mill, post office and port all the original buildings still there and only one 6'x8' concrete slab the rest is all dirt. Looks like about 4-5 original houses around there like a small spread out community. Here's a link to the publisher, they seem to specialize in local history but also sports etc. etc. http://www.arcadiapublishing.com/ Thanks for the tip Dave! Looks like sunny and 67 for Sat. ;)

Back
Top Bottom