Clarks dubious tips

HugoBorchardt

When I get to a new hunting site, i will spend about ten minutes moving branches, obstacles, and trash. If the area is somewhat grown up and it is ok to do so, i may even bring a machete and/or weedeater. I will strategically put all debris in a big pile at the front of the lot, or where someone might walk or drive up and challenge me.

This gives me more square feet to hunt closest to the ground as possible, and makes my hunt more enjoyable.

If someone comes to challenge me, i will normally pick up a branch or piece of trash and meet them at the pile, throwing it in. Once, as someone drove up, I calmly laid the detector down and picked up the weedeater. LOL. In any case, it is important to readily meet them and not have them have to get your attention. (also this is a great way to not get shot in Mississippi)

This creates IMO a pleasant start to the conversation and reduces suspicion. Do not assume that because you have permission someone will not change their mind or another owner, authority or family member will not trump them and evict you. Commonly, someone nosey will see you and call someone tied to the property who doesnt know you have permission, and may be irritated and offensive at having to come check you out. More often than not, though, it will be people just asking for directions, or curious if you found anything. Once it was just an old man asking for my vote in the coming county election!

So Do not be defensive or even mention detecting. And when they are suspicious or questioning, "shoot the $h|t" and use your people skills. Laugh and tell a joke. Talk about the weather or someone prominent in the area or who you know. Anything but detecting. Quickly answer any challenging questions and ask him about his vehicle or something. "Hey how do you like that Ford F150?" and tell him how you've been thinking of getting one. get him talking. Most people love to talk, especially after you make them comfortable. You are supposed to be there, and your confidence, language and relaxed posture prove it.

Never get smart about the permission you have or the right you have to detect there. You want people to like you and want you to be there. If someone is rude, just leave and come back another time or move on to a new place.

And also btw you aren't finding much, and you're about finished. You have no idea why you keep practicing this stupid hobby, there are wasps/mosquitos/snakes nearby, and you gotta finish cleaning up the place, right?

Bam!

Great tips.

I always use the people person approach. If I see them coming I will speak to them first. Say "Hello, how are you today bud?" When asked if I am finding anything, I say "Nah, mostly just trash, that's about all I ever do is clean up the trash hahaha."

Then I go on to explain about how it's "just a hobby" that gets me out of the house and doing a little exercise now and then.

I have learned that most people are just genuinely curious about what I am doing metal detecting. It's understandable, I have lived in this state 22 years and I have only ever seen one other detectorist, and that was last year!

I agree with the OP, be kind, strike up a "friendly" conversation, ask them a question or two, S M I L E, and keep the conversation light hearted.

I've been approached several times, and this approach has always left both parties walking away with a friendly smile on our faces.

We're all ambassadors for the hobby, and we represent each other always.

We have a choice on how we represent detectorists everywhere, and we have a chance to represent detectorists everywhere in a positive light!

Have a good afternoon guys....

There has been a number of times I would look up and see an adult standing beside/behind me, watching me while I'm out sweeping a school yard or park. I would stop, shut my Md off, pull my headphones down and turn to face them with a smile.

Normally I would get the same old questions, "Find anything of value?" or "Hunting worms?"

Of course my favorite question is always, "Gotten rich yet?"

I'm always friendly, and I try to answer their questions to the best of my knowledge. I tell them, "Mostly trash and a few Zincolns, but hey at least I'm cleaning up the park," and show them the trash from my pouch. Most of them can't believe the things laying just under the surface they walk on every day.

Hypo needles really sends a chill down their back when I show them off. I always wear gloves and break or cut the needle part off before throwing them in the trash, so no one else gets stuck. Almost everyone I meet cannot believe I find needles at the park, and at some schools.

What I hate the most is the people throwing them down to begin with. Just think of some kids getting stuck with one of those turns my blood cold, so I'm always on the look out for them.

There have been times I've been asked "How does that thing really works?" so I offer them my Md to "take it out for a test drive."

I also explaining, "if they break it, you bought it," on the spot. Once they find their first coin, I swear you can hear a bell going off in their heads, though I've only seen one other hunter out there, and he hunts with me. :)

I have never had any real complaints about my MD, once they learn I'm not there to destroy private or public property. 5 times out of ten I've always been able to pop a coin out of the ground with a screw driver. There has been times I've had to dig a plug to retrieve my find, but I always leave the ground the way I found it. A towel to throw my loose dirt and plug on helps.

In the parks I swear I'm a magnet for any kid within 20 miles. There is no way to steer clear of them and I know it. So I normally bring a pouch full of old Hot Wheels cars and foreign coins to pass out, just to get rid of them.

There have been a time or two when a parent would come up to me and tell me to leave, because, "You're scaring the children!"

I always get a chuckle out of that because most of the children come up to me first, not the other way around. In all the years Mding, I've never heard or seen a child run from me screaming because I was Mding.

Now I've seen them scream and come running toward me, like a ice cream truck driver with a million questions, but no one has ever screamed and ran away.

I must have one of those faces I guess...

Back
Top Bottom