I have no idea...

jl1252

Elite Member
Dug this from the bank of a pond thats almost dried up. Rang up 29 -30 on the nox. When i pulled it out the bottom was full of mud so i was thinking i found my first crotal bell...then i cleaned it up and was puzzled...

Attachments

• PXL_20220911_040950741.jpg
    PXL_20220911_040950741.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 448
  • PXL_20220911_040946386.jpg
    PXL_20220911_040946386.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 440
I have no idea what that is but it’s definitely cool. Great find!

I find a lot of these myself. My research has found that not all crotal bells are like we see displayed by most detectorists and that some were shaped like yours. I can't say for sure, but here are some of the once I've recovered.

Attachments

• bells1.jpg
    bells1.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 424
It looks like a lot of brass things old friends brought back from the middle east.

They appear to be called claw bells. Here's a similar one listed on ebay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185115564485

Maybe Tom can shine more light on age or origin. I dunno. I found a similar one somewhere long ago but it was much smaller. I have to see if I still have it somewhere maybe.

Sounds like a fun spot :) hope you find some more goodies, and glad you're getting out. Socked in by smoke here :( lately.

My mother had a couple of those bells in the 60s
.. I remember my uncle, who's travelled says they're cow bells. Think from India.

I find a lot of these myself. My research has found that not all crotal bells are like we see displayed by most detectorists and that some were shaped like yours. I can't say for sure, but here are some of the once I've recovered.

They appear to be called claw bells. Here's a similar one listed on ebay;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/185115564485

Maybe Tom can shine more light on age or origin. I dunno. I found a similar one somewhere long ago but it was much smaller. I have to see if I still have it somewhere maybe.

Sounds like a fun spot :) hope you find some more goodies, and glad you're getting out. Socked in by smoke here :( lately.

Wow, claw bells...who knew? Thanks guys for the ID.

Definitely from India. There was a company called "Bells of Sarna" that imported them from the '20s, but they became really popular in the '60s as a standard-issue hippie accoutrement. It wouldn't surprise me if that one still smelled vaguely of patchouli.

We grew up calling them “elephant bells”. They were a popular souvenir for people/hippies who traveled to Central Asia in the 60’s and 70’s and soldiers stationed in that area during WW2.

We grew up calling them “elephant bells”. They were a popular souvenir for people/hippies who traveled to Central Asia in the 60’s and 70’s and soldiers stationed in that area during WW2.

My grandmother had one of those back in the '50s or '60s, although she had had it a long time. Hers was about 2" in diameter. She called it an elephant bell, too.

Back
Top Bottom