Railroad Lantern top?

PAslawslayer

Found this on the site where I found the PRR lock. Could this be a smooshed RR lantern top?
39ea96921d1f54dc2609ca12aa4ae4ef.jpg

8777c159021f4148553c269db06af4d9.jpg

22423e2fee4c7dd2918105e9cd87b864.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with the lantern top. Knurled top piece, extra ring where gass fit.

Those are good possibilities, but as an engineer and former career machinist, I have to say that you don’t put labor in making a threaded and knurled knob unless it’s meant to be turned often. This piece I found has those attributes; and I wonder if tea tin knobs aren’t just a riveted fit and shaped for grip while pulling in a linear fashion. I

You didn't say the nob was threaded... so might not be for Tobacco or Tea.
But putting a solid lid on a gas or kerosene lamp would smother the flame.
Unless you are thinking of a different type of lamp and still, then what would the threaded nobs purpose be.
Interesting.....

Not a lantern top. No vent holes for the heat to escape and allow for draft.

There wouldn’t be vent holes in the very top of a lantern lid, but below it somewhere to keep it from drafting directly to the center of the handle.

I’m certainly not stuck on this being a lantern piece, it was just a “could it be”. This thing may very well be a copper or brass lid for tea, tobacco, or any other container. Part of the fun is trying to figure it out.

Keep the ideas coming.

This has got me stumped. I have been searching high and low for what this could be. There is several old Coleman lanterns that look like this but they have a hole in lid and a little nut that goes on bolt that goes through lid. But that knob looks so familiar. But there is a lot of lateens out there. I’ll keep looking. This forum is one of my favorites. It really gets me to thinking.

Back
Top Bottom