pinpointers

Strollmasta

How many of you don't bother with a pinpointer? I don't have one because I beach and water hunt, but as winter approaches I will do more dirt digging. Was wondering if you think it's worth the money? I'm used to digging till the signal disappears, then shuffling through the pile lol. Any advice on ones better than others?
Thanks

Wouldn't hunt without one, have before, never again.

With a pinpointer I

recover targets faster

recover more targets

dig smaller plugs

pinpoint smaller area BEFORE I dig

find more good items due to recovering more items per hunt

I wouldn't give those benefits up just to detect.

:)

Pinpointers are very useful tools, help you in many ways. I pinpoint pretty well with my main detector, but my soil is pretty much like beach sand, so a target can shift around some, if it's been dry. The handheld pinpointer helps me keep the hole small. You never know what else is in the ground with your target, some can be very sharp, and not made of metal (broken glass, plastic, wood splinters). Groping around in that fresh dug dirt, can get painful. Not a huge fan of gloves, but a good idea in some areas around here. No real need to break the bank on those $100+ pinpointers, unless you are in some sort of race or competition. Harbor Freight has a Centech pinpointer for under $20, much less, if you catch the right coupons, which they almost always have. Best ones are around the big holidays. Not real strong or pretty, need a little modification to make them work real nice. Not too bad out of the box, I just wanted a few minor changes with mine. They beep very loud, prefer silence, so swap in a vibrating motor. The switch is a pushbutton, which I felt was a little awkward, so put in a mini-rocker. All salvaged parts, simple. I bought a Garrett Propointer, couple of years ago, $127.50, but it only lasted about 7 months, before I had to send in for repair. Got it back, worked for another 6 months, developed the same problem, sits useless in a drawer, maybe open it up sometime, see if I can figure out the issue... Still using that first Centech I bought, no real interest in spend big money, on an over priced tool. A lot more choices now though, but most seem to have a few bad units.

How many of you don't bother with a pinpointer? I don't have one because I beach and water hunt, but as winter approaches I will do more dirt digging. Was wondering if you think it's worth the money? I'm used to digging till the signal disappears, then shuffling through the pile lol. Any advice on ones better than others?
Thanks

Can't dig holes or cut plugs here... without a pinpointer I'd be DIW.

not sure how I did it back in the late 80s early 90s with out one. Took a few years off detecting, got back into it 4 years ago, now that pin pointer doesn't leave my side....gotta have it..

I don't leave home without my pp. A couple of weeks ago my the battery died on my pp and I did't have a spare. I was clad hunting a ball field, my productivity slowed by at least 50% if not more.

Thank you all for the advice and help. I'm all about having fun and of course finding things, and it sounds like another tool to the game. I'm not looking to get too high in the $ of one, but also don't want it to fall apart. I'll get looking and searching on here for different opinions and stories of models people use.

I can see how cutting a smaller plug and not having to swing the detector when you just got down to dig a plug can save a lot of time.
Thanks everyone

There is usually a couple of them available used right here in the classifieds, I'm not sure I would trust a 15 dollar harbor freight pp, Maybe a good unit I don't know

I will turn back around go back home if I forget my pinpointer. Plain and simple.

It's a waste of money to buy cheap pointers. Baseline for a bare minimum, the Deteknix X-pointer for $89 or BullseyeII, and that still smokes a harbor freight and most all pointers places like Kellyco include in packages.

Get a good pointer. I would have quite detecting back in 2010 had I never gotten my first pointer, a Garretts ProPointer. jm2c

Get one!

Target recovery is much faster=more targets hit=more fun=getting rich faster:laughing:

Thanks

the way i see it...if i had 600 bucks to spend on a machine ..i would buy a 500 dollar machine and a pin pointer! ive only hunted for a limited time without one , but it was long enough to realize i wont hunt land without one!

Thanks. Think its gonna be something I'll put on the list. Think if I'm gonna hit any parks or private land I'll need to leave as small a mark as possible and a pin pointer will help with that.

Why Would You

Kinda like buying warm beer with no frig..............

In the old days you would make sure to put your coil near the hole so you could wave your handful of dirt over the coil. Pin pointer is a wonderful piece of equipment.

I used to think that and hunted without a pinpointer for almost my entire first year of detecting. Then I bought a Garrett ProPointer. Wouldn't hunt without a pinpointer again. The time it saves is amazing and the way I see it, with all the money we put into this hobby, what's another $100-200 bucks? I kept my ProPointer until I accidentally drowned it. Now I've got a ProPointer AT and couldn't be happier. :yes:

There is usually a couple of them available used right here in the classifieds, I'm not sure I would trust a 15 dollar harbor freight pp, Maybe a good unit I don't know

I started with the harbor freight PP. Yes the switch failed and they do not sense very far away. I spent $8 at radio shack for a better switch and cellphone vibrating motor and tweaked it. It still works and has found a bunch of stuff. Can't complain for a $24 investment overall. I do like the propointer better though. I usually stick it to the ground before digging. It helps me find the exact location and help determine size.

As a footnote, I can't imagine finding something like the 17 caliber bullets I find without a pinpointer. It takes a while with one!!

I dont bother with a pinpointer. In the places where I hunt and "most" others hunt too , 90% to 100% of the targets are 6 inches deep or less. Accurately pinpointing with the detector coil and a well placed hole means you end up with only a small amount of soil that the target could be in. Usually a handful or two. I dont know how folks can describe that as " getting frustrated searching through all that dirt "....if you pinpoint and dig correctly there isnt much to search through. If you wind up with a foot wide hole and a gallon and a half of soil to paw through then what you need is practice :lol:

The lack of a need for a pinpointer if you are accurate with the detector and dig an accurate hole is I think the only thing I ever agreed with pennypacker on when he was posting regularly on this site.

But there are certainly times when anyone could benefit from a handheld pinpointer , so Im not saying they arent a good tool to have. And those who dig for deep silver and relics naturally have more work to do in finding many of their targets so I can see the appeal in that regard. Its a personal preference.

I actually have 4. I leave one in each vehicle I have along with a digger and knee pads plus bug spray.

That way all I have to do is grab a machine and some Gatorade. I hate getting to a spot and realizing I'm missing something.

And yes, a PP is essential as far as I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom