Silver Reale??

planerie

Elite Member
I found a completely worn silver coin on a site that dates back to the 1700's. Its worn smooth but I think I found a few letters and numbers on it but cannot find anything on it. Take a look and tell me if you can make out what I see or maybe I am just seeing things.

IMG_0988_zps921d6ecb.jpg

cropped_zpsa7f28d3d.jpg

copped_zpsbc70c252.jpg

Looks like there is an SS 85 or 58 SS. Not sure which side is up on the coin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is the other side and there is something different on it I want to show.
Looks like there may still be part of a letter on the edge of the hole. Could have not been worn off due to it being next to the chain??

cropp2_zps95b41c9a.jpg

crop3_zps926f4428.jpg

Try taking a white piece of paper and place it over the coin then use a pencil to shade in the coin area....maybe a detail will show through. I seen the beech guys do this...you'll be amazed what the pencil will bring out and what the eye does not see.

Whatever it is it's silver and has been purposely punched to make a pendant; so it must have meant something to someone? Try putting the hole to the top and see if you can make out an image, I can't see one at present!

Its exactly the same diameter of a dime just very thin. I tried the pencil and paper thing but I think I need to get some really thin paper.

I think the dime fits in the middle between the two, but not by much. I could be wrong with how the coins get flattened out over time. But I think mine were that way.

I think you are right I think the half reale is about the size of a half dime.

Again not an expert but what I think you have is a really worn silver dime. I have one that looks similar that was made into a homemade ring and it is completely unreadable and scratched up like yours. I think mine may have been put on a grinder but not sure.

a half reale is about the size of a modern dime only its much thinner sometimes almost "paper thin" , a 1 reale is more to the size of a modern nickle and a bit thicker than a half reale. i bet its a 1700's era half reale as they are a lot of times worn smooth like that from all the hands they were passed from.

If you don't care about making it shiny, and want a shot at an ID, soak it in lemon juice and rub all the dark off. Then under a bright light check it on different angles to try and catch a few bits of detail. Even the slightest amount would tell you the difference between a dime and real. I've done this quite a few times with about a 50-50 success rate.

Got this off of metaldetectingworld... Hope it helps...

Spanish Coin Denominations:

1/2 REAL or One-Half "Bit" is equivalent to American HALF-DIME or 1/16 PESO also called a PICAYUNE, DIAMETER: 16.4 mm - 17,7 mm

1 REAL or One "Bit" is equivalent to American DIME or 1/8 PESO, DIAMETER: 20.3 mm - 21.6 mm

2 REALES or Two "Bits" are equivalent to American QUARTER or 1/4 PESO, DIAMETER: 26.2 mm - 28.1 mm

4 REALES or Four "Bits" are equivalent to American HALF-DOLLAR or 1/2 PESO, DIAMETER: 34.9 mm

8 REALES - a Piece of 8, or Eight "Bits"(a "Cob"), coin is equivalent to American 1 DOLLAR or 1 PESO, DIAMETER: 38.8 mm - 39.9 mm

Just a thought here but, colonials used to punch holes in their coins and sew or pin them into clothing for safe keeping, I guess holes in pockets if they had any, was common. I am no expert, but I did read this on a post on the forum once. Sorry I forgot who posted it, but credit to whom ever it was.

Back
Top Bottom