I am so impressed

wbook01

I've been on the fence about buying a CTX 3030, but seeing the 140+ silvers that IDXMonster found last year inspired me to call a dealer and order one with a 17-inch coil. I did that this afternoon, making the call while my wife waited for me to drive her to a Walmart in a nearby town.

Thirty minutes after making the phone call, as I checked out at Walmart, I spotted a dime on the floor and picked it up. I kid you not, it was a 1964 rosie. My metal detector hadn't even shipped, yet, and silver was popping up around me like April mushrooms. That CTX 3030 is one HECK of a silver-finding machine. I can hardly wait to see what it does in the field. :grin:

Congrats on a nice machine !!! I have seen one in action by my friend and he does very well. Good luck on your first hunt.

What I’m about to tell you is absolutely NO SH*T WBook....We had a group hunt in Milwaukee with a bunch of guys and we were standing on a trail overlooking Lake Michigan just talking about this and that,but not hunting. We were pretty much just all standing there. I had my coil resting a bit off the trail and picked it up to move it as we were getting going. It beeped. I looked at the reading and it was a “silver” type number. Sitting right there under some leaves was a silver charm. Absolutely kid you not.
Another day my buddy Wayne,Dewsweeper and his son Bret and Air Force Mike were hunting another place outside of Milwaukee. These are all guys on this forum by the way...anyway,Trapper had JUST taken off and again we were puttering around about what to do or where to hunt and I swung the coil to turn around. It beeped. Again,good reading but very deep,it could’ve been a wheat or silver. This is where I start shooting my mouth off and say,”This ones silver boys,watch and learn!” Of course I’m kidding cuz we had all kinda been sucking wind all day and at 9”+ dig up a SUPER worn Mercury Dime. They all just start laughing and saying,”Oooooooohhhh-Kaaaaaayyyyy....”
True stories,many witnesses from here.
I,of course,am not going to guarantee anybody anything....other than the CTX with the 17” coil has found me more silver coins than I ever thought I would find. I’ve had some really good help along the way from guys that know EXACTLY what they’re doing and what works for THEM. The biggest thing I’ve done is to go spend ALOT of time with it. There are many many success stories out there, and with ALL kinds of machines. THIS one happens to work for ME. Finding the TYPE of place that would hold what you want is the key. I wouldn’t go Civil War artifact hunting in a tot lot. But I’d certainly check it for rings...
Just do what makes sense. The CTX has been a great performer,as you can see.
Congrats on the eyeball find,it’ll be a good start to the “pile”.;)

Is it wrong of me to want to buy one ....
Just to take it home and run it over with my truck on the next hunt with IDX Monster ?
I just want to see his face 😳

😎

That was a good find but just wait until you turn it on!!!

Both the CTX and Etrac have some amazing technology. I've always been a Tesoro die hard and will continue to be but I had to try one of the new fangled contraptions and bought an Etrac.

Been too cold to actually get much time on it but the thing that impresses me about both the CTX and Etrac is the obvious effort in R&D and money Minelab must have spent on development of these two particular machines.

I'm not sure they could afford to do that again even with something like the new Equinox forthcoming.

I'm sure it will be a good detector but I don't see Minelab shootin a hole in their big toe by outdoing their flagship machines by producing something better at half the cost.

Now that's just your basic lemonade stand marketing and finance assumption but you might have noticed they didn't say the Equinox would make FBS obsolete so, just sayin...

Last edited:
No doubt about it, I'm ready for some serious hunting, if the tundra around here ever thaws again.

That was a good find but just wait until you turn it on!!!

Both the CTX and Etrac have some amazing technology. I've always been a Tesoro die hard and will continue to be but I had to try one of the new fangled contraptions and bought an Etrac.

Been too cold to actually get much time on it but the thing that impresses me about both the CTX and Etrac is the obvious effort in R&D and money Minelab must have spent on development of these two particular machines.

I'm not sure they could afford to do that again even with something like the new Equinox forthcoming.

I'm sure it will be a good detector but I don't see Minelab shootin a hole in their big toe by outdoing their flagship machines by producing something better at half the cost.

Now that's just your basic lemonade stand marketing and finance assumption but you might have noticed they didn't say the Equinox would make FBS obsolete so, just sayin...

+1!!!

I am also a diehard Tesoro fan and have been amazed at the performance of the Compadre and Vaquero I have. I made a lot of good finds last year with both machines. However, I was itching to try a machine with TID in addition to audio language.

My research and observations in various forums showed that FBS machines were not overhyped and were the real deal. I was still skeptical so I had to try one out. I picked up a nice used Etrac late in the detecting season. I immediately started finding silver more frequently. My only regret is that I didn't buy the Etrac right off the bat! I was pulling silver and coins out of places I thought I had hammered into submission with my two Tesoro's. It makes me wonder what my silver totals FTY would've been like had I started the season with an Etrac!

+1!!!

I am also a diehard Tesoro fan and have been amazed at the performance of the Compadre and Vaquero I have. I made a lot of good finds last year with both machines. However, I was itching to try a machine with TID in addition to audio language.

My research and observations in various forums showed that FBS machines were not overhyped and were the real deal. I was still skeptical so I had to try one out. I picked up a nice used Etrac late in the detecting season. I immediately started finding silver more frequently. My only regret is that I didn't buy the Etrac right off the bat! I was pulling silver and coins out of places I thought I had hammered into submission with my two Tesoro's. It makes me wonder what my silver totals FTY would've been like had I started the season with an Etrac!

I love Tesoro also .. ant the Vaquero can hit on things you will pass on with your Etrac . But .. if it's deep silver on old pounded out dirt ... your gonna grab that minelab . But trust me .. you see a street tear out or you get on a fresh virgin permission you will clean up the majority of the spoils faster with that Vaquero. And you will dig more bling. Then I'd go back over the hot spots and fill dirt arias with the slower deeper Etrac . Just a few things I have learned .
Also took me a good 6 months and a lot of hunting for the lightbulb to come on with my Etrac. Again good finds also great the way but it kills. Just learning to hunt crazy trashy spots now and it's a blast when you get dialed in.
Crazy when you pull 5 nails and 4 22 shells out of a hole before you get down to the coin. Mindblowing actually , Love it so much I'm afraid to try the CTX. Having too much fun
Dew

I love Tesoro also .. ant the Vaquero can hit on things you will pass on with your Etrac . But .. if it's deep silver on old pounded out dirt ... your gonna grab that minelab . But trust me .. you see a street tear out or you get on a fresh virgin permission you will clean up the majority of the spoils faster with that Vaquero. And you will dig more bling. Then I'd go back over the hot spots and fill dirt arias with the slower deeper Etrac . Just a few things I have learned .
Also took me a good 6 months and a lot of hunting for the lightbulb to come on with my Etrac. Again good finds also great the way but it kills. Just learning to hunt crazy trashy spots now and it's a blast when you get dialed in.
Crazy when you pull 5 nails and 4 22 shells out of a hole before you get down to the coin. Mindblowing actually , Love it so much I'm afraid to try the CTX. Having too much fun
Dew

Brad,I think you would be doing yourself a disservice by jumping over to a CTX right now because you’ve just dialed into something most people try to avoid. There are a lot more horrible places to hunt than prime virgin coin filled low trash places...you have a niche,and to upset what you’re doing might be counter productive. You can only really be good at one thing at a time,and you’re good at what you’re doing. I wouldn’t say to NOT get the CTX...I would say don’t give up or trade off your eTrac to do it. That’s just MHO...:grin:

Back
Top Bottom