Anyone Seen a Hexagonal Cartridge?

EastTexasChris

New to the Forum here, so thanks for any help. While at a group outing around Vein Mt, North Carolina, I found an odd shaped complete cartridge while preparing for a MD hunt. It is pretty badly corroded, but it is obvious that the cartridge is hexagonal(six flat sides) shaped. The base is round and has a primer, is not necked down(like most rifle cartridges), and has a round nose lead bullet. From the corrosion, it appears that the cartridge could be made of steel. Its dimensions are: case length=27 mm, total length=33 mm, bullet diameter=10mm. No one at the MD hunt had seen anything like it and so far my internet search(pretty extensive) has not turned up any references to hexagonal cartridges, only barrels or internal rifling. The corrosion prevents seeing any stamping on the end of the cartridge. I have brushed the sand/dirt from it, but hesitate to do any further cleaning for fear of damaging it. Thanks for any comments.

Attachments

• OldCartridge_01.jpg
    OldCartridge_01.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 553
  • OldCartridge_02.jpg
    OldCartridge_02.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 555
  • OldCartridge_03.jpg
    OldCartridge_03.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:
Don't think this is any kind of bullet. Think it some type of long extended nut used on machinery.

Don't believe it could be a cartridge. Maybe some sort of rivet, anchor, locator pin, but not a cartridge. Can you imagine trying to machine a hexagonal bore in a barrel???

A cartridge shaped like that wouldn’t make much sense. Inserting it into a chamber would be pretty complicated.

I have to agree that it seems like not a bullet. Sure looks like one at first, but doesn't make sense. One thing I see, it appears to have the same rust/corrosion on the round nose part, that is on the rest of it. Lead does not rust like that.
Maybe a standoff, jackpost(or jack screw), extended nut/bolt head, etc...

OK, after hearing the comments, I felt comfortable to do some more cleaning, especially where the primer would have been. After cleaning out more sand, I could see what looked like threads on the inside. Cleaning the top also reveals this to be a single cast piece and not a lead bullet on top. This would indicate that it was indeed some type of decorative nut cap. Thanks for all your help.

A cartridge shaped like that wouldn’t make much sense. Inserting it into a chamber would be pretty complicated.

The British did that. The Whitworth rifle. Very accurate long range weapon.
It was the most feared sniper rifle during the civil war

Too bad that this find is not one. They are a pretty rare relic to dig.

Attachments

• the_whitworth_bullet.jpg
    the_whitworth_bullet.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 437
  • whitworth muzzle.jpg
    whitworth muzzle.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 432

Well I’ll be a monkey’s uncle. I stand corrected. You learn something new everyday.

To be fair though, that would be a hexagonal bullet, not a hexagonal cartridge.

Its definitely is a type of nut. IT IS CALLED A HEX NUTSERT The outside is shaped like that so it can be pounded into wood and wont spin. Or fits into a hole through metal of the same shape And that would hold it from spinning. Just like the square part of a carriage bolt. It allows U to tighten it without having to hold a wrench on the other side.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 318
  • 2017-10-26-07-06-06--1913549419.jpeg
    2017-10-26-07-06-06--1913549419.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 316
New to the Forum here, so thanks for any help. While at a group outing around Vein Mt, North Carolina, I found an odd shaped complete cartridge while preparing for a MD hunt. It is pretty badly corroded, but it is obvious that the cartridge is hexagonal(six flat sides) shaped. The base is round and has a primer, is not necked down(like most rifle cartridges), and has a round nose lead bullet. From the corrosion, it appears that the cartridge could be made of steel. Its dimensions are: case length=27 mm, total length=33 mm, bullet diameter=10mm. No one at the MD hunt had seen anything like it and so far my internet search(pretty extensive) has not turned up any references to hexagonal cartridges, only barrels or internal rifling. The corrosion prevents seeing any stamping on the end of the cartridge. I have brushed the sand/dirt from it, but hesitate to do any further cleaning for fear of damaging it. Thanks for any comments.
been to Vein Mnt a few times myself..

If the hole extends into the object It looks like It might be some type of cement, or masonry anchor.

Back
Top Bottom