TurtleFoot......

Vermonster

Elite Member
I know it's been probably a year+ since anyone asked about him, but I just happened to think about him again today. I was able to do a tad bit of snooping, and saw a news report/interview with him and a couple others that were hit by a powerful storm/tornado in his town. It was from mid October of this last year, so only 5 months ago.

Many of us knew he had health issues and worried about him because he was a frequent poster here. Don't know why he doesn't visit anymore, and took his page down, but at least we can take some comfort knowing as of 5 months ago he was still doing well...….

Just wanted to update you all...…

I talked to him a few days ago. He said that he had a spine injury and some other health issues and just couldn't keep up with the site anymore. I think that he gave his information to someone else who started their own headstamp site. That person is a member here but I forgot who they are. Turtlefoot does fossil hunting now; I think detecting is out as fossil hunting must be easier. I'm really thankful that he pioneered headstamp id and detecting. Coin hunting is out of the question for me where I live so headstamps take the place of that.

I talked to him a few days ago. He said that he had a spine injury and some other health issues and just couldn't keep up with the site anymore. I think that he gave his information to someone else who started their own headstamp site. That person is a member here but I forgot who they are. Turtlefoot does fossil hunting now; I think detecting is out as fossil hunting must be easier. I'm really thankful that he pioneered headstamp id and detecting. Coin hunting is out of the question for me where I live so headstamps take the place of that.

Yes, he gave his data to a member here, I think from Australia. Can’t think of his User ID.

EDIT: His User Name is Aussiemd and his web site is Aussie Metal Detecting Forums.com I believe.

Are there rules against detecting in the village you’re in Bank Fisher? Towns around you no good?

Are there rules against detecting in the village you’re in Bank Fisher? Towns around you no good?

I live so far out in the country that noone ever used coins. We are to far away from stores. The people paid with credit and bank notes. Nothing but old farmers old pioneers and Amish. You would be surprised at the amount coins these people did not leave behind.

I live so far out in the country that noone ever used coins. We are to far away from stores. The people paid with credit and bank notes. Nothing but old farmers old pioneers and Amish. You would be surprised at the amount coins these people did not leave behind.

Even the old baseball fields in town don’t produce any silver coins? Interesting...the villages in that area are certainly old themselves, I think Prophetstown is going on 200 years if I’m not mistaken. My main staples of silver coin hunting are old ball fields, fairgrounds, old city parks etc. I’ve done VERY well in Warren at Jo Daviess also...but it also depends on how old you want to go. I’ve gone back to 1864 in Warren.

Wow, you know where I am at, Thanks for the help by the way. Back in the 90's there was a metal detecting club here that would meet at all the local parks after events were held. They were looking for fresh drops but no doubt they guys would have recognized silver. They did this for years. I have detected hundreds of hours but have only ever found two silvers. I find plenty of clad though. I've never really figured it out.

Back
Top Bottom