The beeps and boops of my ACE 200

Logo1924

Hey guys,

I'm still getting used to my first metal detector, the ACE 200. The thing that confuses me the most is knowing what numbers refer to what metals. The detector has a generic "coins" or "jewelery" label on it, but I want something more specific. Seeing as I have never found anything besides a few recent coins, some pull tabs and nails, how would I know if I hit something good before digging it up? I have started throwing coins into a test area and writing down the numbers that my detector beeps, but I feel like there should already be a complete list out there. I would imagine that everyone, at least with the same model of detector, would receive the same numbers for the same metals. Either way, I plan on digging everything and anything!

On another note, I got a reading that was a 99 from a rusty pull tab. Is that normal? I think pull tabs normally read 40-50 or somewhere around there.

On another other note, I took my detector to a sandy beach on a lake and it had a lot of trouble. I had to Max out the sensitivity to hear anything, and even then the signals were unreliable. I can't find anything out there that says the ACE 200 has issues in the sand. The sand was wet and compact, so that may play a part in it. I eventually found a rusty screw after 30 minutes of playing in the sand :lol:

Last edited:
This picture is helpful, but I think my readings were a bit different. This was pulled from a site I've seen floating around here: http://www.metaldetectingworld.com/conductive_order_metals.shtml

19feb10dd8afbd8a765190af8c923df6.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that different soil types, depths, orientation of the object, etc can all make the VDI different...

That is a good point, and it makes me think that what I really need is more experience. But I like having references so I may just keep on adding to my list. Thanks.

That is a good point, and it makes me think that what I really need is more experience. But I like having references so I may just keep on adding to my list. Thanks.

Yep..nothing wrong with that...it will at least give you an idea of what you're going to be digging...and experience is what REALLY helps...Lord knows I need more of that myself :)

Yep..nothing wrong with that...it will at least give you an idea of what you're going to be digging...and experience is what REALLY helps...Lord knows I need more of that myself :)
Maybe you can help me with today's issue as well, since I think it also relates to my lack of experience. I would swing my detector till I got a consistent signal. I would dig for it, then the item would disappear. I couldn't get a beep in the hole or in my plug. So I fill my hole and sweep again to try and find it and it's gone.. This is without a pinpointer mind you, since it comes in the mail tomorrow. I did find a staple on my magnet after my adventure though so that might have been part of it. But this was an issue all day. Made 5 digs and this happened 3 times..

I have the Ace 250 so I had to look at photos and I notice the screen is divided into iron, foil, tab, zincers,, and clad. BUT you do have VDI #'s and you can use these for more info. One caution: the high sensitivities make the Aces go bonkers UNLESS you have a sniper coil- the ONLY coil I use now. Some beach hunters say the jewelry setting is best- blanking out the first segment.

I have the Ace 250 so I had to look at photos and I notice the screen is divided into iron, foil, tab, zincers,, and clad. BUT you do have VDI #'s and you can use these for more info. One caution: the high sensitivities make the Aces go bonkers UNLESS you have a sniper coil- the ONLY coil I use now. Some beach hunters say the jewelry setting is best- blanking out the first segment.
I have noticed the issue with my ACE going crazy on the top 2 sensitivity levels, thank you for bringing that up. I didn't know i could buy different coils..

Back
Top Bottom